PDA

View Full Version : Font book questions

stefanburt
02-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Did a bit of a search before posting and mostly tech info relating to font book but would like a bit more info about it from people how have used it more than me.

I have a copy of suitcase on mac running os 10.3.2 and am interested to learn if font book can manage my fonts as well as suitcase and was it worth leaving it unplugged and letting the system (font book) take over its job?

What are peoples experiences of it? is it any good any problems that I should watch for etc.

Any views welcome, or should I stick with old faithful suitcase?

stefan :)

frankko
02-24-2004, 07:48 AM
It's been mine (and many, many others') experience that Font Book isn't quite ready for prime time.

How many fonts do you have? A lot? If so, Font Book probably won't be right for you. I added just my Adobe fonts to FB and both FB and my system in general became very sluggish, and that was with 95% of those fonts deactivated.

It's worth a try. But if you decide you don't like it, delete com.apple.FontBook.plist and com.apple.ATS.plist (I'm not sure about the exact name of the latter file, since mine is gone, but if it's not ATS, it's ATSsomething). Because FB works even when the app isn't running, it might not be clear how to completely turn it off. That's how.