PDA

View Full Version : icon preview-only shows PSD's?

adyblain
02-21-2004, 12:35 PM
if you save a .psd file, you get a nifty and great preview of the image in the icon that can be viewed in list or icon view in the Finder. it gives you an idea of what the image looks like in these Finder views without having to open the files. why is it that jpegs, gifs, pngs, bmps, etc don't have this ability? did not OS 9 do this? is there an app that changes default icon to a picture of the image? what about quicktime movies and swf files? is it possible to create a preview of them in icon view, perhaps in a future release of the OS? just wondering, mostly because I saw a co-worker running OS 9 with a folder in list view in the Finder and all the jpgs had big picture previews of what the image really looked like, but OS X only does it with PSD's.

trevor
02-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Any picture file can have a custom icon showing a thumbnail, not only .psd files. I don't use Photoshop in OS X, so I can't help you properly configure that application, but the OS X operating system definitely supports icon thumbnails. You may want to try GraphicConvertor http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/index.htm

Trevor

rusto
02-21-2004, 09:07 PM
If you save your jpegs or gifs via PS's "save for web" they won't show a thumbnail in OS X.