PDA

View Full Version : Above my head

easydoesit
02-12-2004, 01:02 PM
You guys are way past me. I'm just a lonely designer that is trying to get work out of my mac. You are the ones that have to deal with my jobs once they come out. So what's the verdict? Should I stick with Quark 4.1 or learn InDesign?

Obviously there is a debate about the inferiority of both to some degree.

schneb
02-12-2004, 02:05 PM
I'll try to stay above the belt and below the shoulders with my reply. ;)

You have stated...

"I do print design for a number of clients. End products are newsletters, brochures and other collateral pieces. I give a disk to a printer and they print it. All my work is 4-color."

For your work, I would recommend keeping your G5 and learning inDesign and Acrobat. Quark has shown very little concern for the quality of their application. Adobe shows great concern for quality of their product and all of their products strive to work together.

With these two applications I would gather that you also have Photoshop. InDesign and Photoshop act as one product--another plus.

So the output to your printing house could very well be CMYK TIFF and a PDF file. Hence, no font problems and no need to put up with Quark.

These applications work flawlessly in OSX.

The above are all in my humble opinion, of course.

B&C Printing
02-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by easydoesit
You guys are way past me. I'm just a lonely designer that is trying to get work out of my mac. You are the ones that have to deal with my jobs once they come out. So what's the verdict? Should I stick with Quark 4.1 or learn InDesign?

Obviously there is a debate about the inferiority of both to some degree. From my point of view being the printer who gets your files and has to deal with them and make them work. I prefer Quark for the actual construction of a job, but that's not to say that we don't use the others as it sometimes takes a combination of all programs like Illustrator, photoshop and Indesign to achieve the final product. I personally do not much 4color work, we deal mainy in jobs that are produced in spot colors so more attention to detail has to be made when creating things such as graphic elements. The worst program in my opinion is Pagemaker or anything Microsoft. The only part of Indesign CS I like is the trapping feature because it works on all the graphics included in a file were as Quark does not. For this reason when I have a job that has trapping graphics I will export a PDF from Quark and import it into Indesign for film output.

schneb
02-12-2004, 05:07 PM
easydoesit may need a quick tutorial on what trapping is. From my limited print background, isn't it the little bit of bleedover in spot-color graphic bounderies due to registration inaccuracies?

Yes, this would be extremely valuable!

B&C Printing
02-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by schneb
easydoesit may need a quick tutorial on what trapping is. From my limited print background, isn't it the little bit of bleedover in spot-color graphic bounderies due to registration inaccuracies?

Yes, this would be extremely valuable! Yes that is correct and it is so very important that it is done correctly to get good looking printing with no gaps between the spot colors. Quark will trap everything that is not a graphic file such as an EPS or TIFF. Indesign CS has a wonderfull trapping option that needs no tweaking because it is based on the amount of black in a spot color, but if you need to alter it beyond this you can prioritize the color order to get a greater "spread" or a tighter "choke". So in short the lighter the color the greater the spread when it touches a dark color.

B&C Printing
02-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by schneb
I'll try to stay above the belt and below the shoulders with my reply. ;)

You have stated...

[i]So the output to your printing house could very well be CMYK TIFF and a PDF file. Hence, no font problems and no need to put up with Quark. Not true. I have had font problems with PDF files, nothing is fool proof, the file has to be set up correctly with the correct options checked when the is converted to a TIFF or PDF.

schneb
02-12-2004, 09:11 PM
I thought PDF files IMBED fonts into the file? TIFF files should have no problem since they are raster files, right?

That is interesting about the trapping. Sounds like that alone is worth the price of inDesign!