PDA

View Full Version : Just Broke the CD Tray off my G5's DVD Burner, help!

afro_puff
02-10-2004, 05:04 PM
I accidentally bumped the CD tray off my G5's DVD Burner and Apple wants 300 dollars to replace the ENTIRE DRIVE, which is crazy. I think I can repair it myself, I just don't know where all the gears go. So...

1) if anyone has a better idea let me know.

2) if anyone knows of pictures of the innards of the 4x DVD burner (Sony DW-U10A) please let me know.

3) if anyone is daring enough to open theirs up and take a picture for me :) let me know.

4) if you think that I will have to break down and buy another DVD burner, shoot me in the face (and let me know!)

:(

I'm so pissed right now.

DeltaMac
02-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Lucky you didn't have one of the Pioneer SuperDrives. Apple's price is more than double the Sony.

acme.mail.order
02-10-2004, 10:00 PM
The days of replacing individual sub-components disappeared along with the Apple][ (parts available at Radio Shack, which was possibly where Woz bought the prototype's parts)
Not even Apple will have a drawer. If you contact the drive manufacturer's service depot they MIGHT have one (might, maybe, possibly, if it's the third thursday of an even month after lent in the year the groundhog saw his shadow and Venus is in ascending conjunction with Saturn in Scorpio).

Or, take the remains to a used computer parts store and see if it resembles the drawer of an old 4x cd-rom that costs $5. Probably the manufacturers don't reinvent the entire mechanism with each model. You will also need some torx drivers, small phillips drivers, a camera, patience and considerable mechanical dexterity.

Oh, and your warranty will be history when you turn the first screw (but probably not for the whole tower).

Watch where you put the coffee cup next time :D

afro_puff
02-10-2004, 11:25 PM
You know the interesting thing... as I went downstairs to do my laundry I glanced at the open CD tray and told myself "I should close that because I don't want to knock the CD tray out," but I did the laundry instead. Sure enough, I came back upstairs and with the lights turned out walked right into the CD tray, knocking it clear out of the unit. F**K me.

On the upside, if I actually do need to buy a completely new unit I believe this will do the trick (minus the iDVD compatability which I don't care about), it's the U14A model and it has all the same features:

http://216.136.224.156/hoct12/necnd4xdvdr.html

Or I could upgrade to an 8x +/- DVD burner for around the same price (that is assuming that it would work, which it should right?):

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=DVD2500A&c=pw

yellow
02-10-2004, 11:33 PM
I suggest looking here for compatibility:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

afro_puff
02-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Thx, that was a big help. It unfortunately told me that I don't really have many options for other drives.

:(

my buddy is going to attempt to fix the burner for me, he is a gear head so I am pretty sure he can do it.