PDA

View Full Version : sleepmode: yes or no

mitteboy
02-03-2004, 12:09 PM
I got an iBook G4 14'' 933mhz for 3 months right now. I cared always about my battery, that means, as soon it was completely charged, I plugged it of and worked until it was completely empty.
but instead of turning it off, I just close it and keep it in sleepmode. It feels like the battery performance is going down constantly. What about your experiences. is it recommended to turn it off??
greets
mario

java_guy
02-03-2004, 12:42 PM
I've had my 12" Al PB for a year now.

I've always leave the power connected when there is a power supply. I used to put it to sleep instead of turning it off it was draining the battery too much at the time and also there was a software glitch associated with 12" PB and sleep mode so I stopped doing that.

As far as the battery capacity, I haven't noticed any difference in capacity yet.

cudaboy_71
02-03-2004, 01:25 PM
I cared always about my battery, that means, as soon it was completely charged, I plugged it of and worked until it was completely empty.

this is an old NiCad/NiMH battery habit that addressed the 'memory effect' with 'deep cycling' to 'erase the memory'.

not a good idea with LiIon batteries. you should keep them peak charged at all times, only discharging them completely if a necessity (on a long road trip). dont discharge them completely as a habit. it only taxes the cells unnecessarily and shortens their life.

jhillestad
02-03-2004, 04:02 PM
I have been just shutting the lid on my 12" G4 iBook and sleeping it. I don't think it eats up much battery. I havent put it through a just sleep test, meaning sleep it until it drains.

Anyone else offer any insight to this ? Sleep or shutdown? To be honest it takes too long to boot so I prefer sleep mode to get that instant on feeling, if it costs a little battery life its still well worth it!

java_guy
02-03-2004, 04:31 PM
The only reasons I switched from putting my PB to sleep to shutting it down was due the the glitch where my PB's screen wouldn't wake up from sleep and at some point ( I forgot what version it was... I think it was 10.2.x) the drain on the battery was too great.

Basically, I had "sleeping" problems so I stopped "sleeping" and now I've gotten into the habbit of shutting down & starting up.

I keep my other machines "sleeping" and only shut them down when it is required.

vonleigh
02-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Keep it always plugged in. These new batteries get worn with use, deep discharging although better for the older batteries, is the worst thing you can do with the new ones.

Check the main site for several articles on battery care (there's a few that talk about the iPod, but it's applicable too).

v