PDA

View Full Version : it's freezing - please help!

pavinder
01-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Hope somebody can help......

Running G4/400, OSX Jaguar 10.2.8, plenty of disc space and memory. Recently there have been problems with increasing frequency:

There is a slow response to mouse movements, so that sometimes it takes many seconds for the screen cursor to move. And when it does finally move it "jumps" rather than moves across the screen. Also the keyboard shows this slow response.

My mouse (Intellimouse) is connected to Apple pro keyboard which is connected via USB to the G4, and if I unplug the keyboard from the back of the G4 and plug it in again the problem often fixes instantly.

But more recently the slow response is often becoming a freeze, and unplugging and reconnecting the keyboard has no effect. However I can still see that all applications are still running, so it's not a system freeze. Yet I have to restart the machine to get things working again, which of course means quitting running apps, and occasionally plays havoc with my modem settings.

Connecting to a different USB plug on the G4 doesn't make any difference so I assumed I had a keyboard problem. But testing with a different keyboard showed exactly the same problem.

No problems with any other USB devices so it isn't a problem with the USB ports on the G4.

I don't understand why everything might be fine for hours and then suddenly get the problem appearing. Is it possibly not a hardware fault but a driver/extension problem?

Any suggestions of what I might do to identify the problem would be much appreciated!

yellow
01-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Tried going back to the old boring 1 button Apple mouse for a bit? It sounds an awful lot like the mouse is the culprit. At least, it would be much cheaper if it was!!

I had a machine that ran just perfectly for nearly a year and suddenly it started developing kernel panics. Turned out it was the MS Optical Wheel mouse had "gone bad". As soon as I replaced it, it's never KP'd again.

pavinder
01-14-2004, 01:55 PM
I'll try the mouse thing, it's the last thing I'd have expected, but anything has to be better than the current hassles.

Thanks, and sorry to hear about your cat.