PDA

View Full Version : Cannot install Panther over NTFS

Tuca
01-04-2004, 02:56 PM
I decided to upgrade my 700 MHz iBook and swapped the old 20 GB drive into a second-hand 40 GB. I got the drive from a friend of mine who had used it in his Compaq laptop.

The problem is Panther won't install to it.

The drive still contains an installation of XP and i can't seem to wipe it off. Running Disk Utility from the Panther Install CDs seems to run fine but always shows 37 GB available / 34 GB used. Trying to write zeroes over all the data stops about half-way thru without any errors.

Would this have anything to do with the fact that Panther can only read, but not write onto NTFS volumes?

Mikey-San
01-04-2004, 03:36 PM
What does Disk Utility say in the "Partition" tab?

www.mikey-san.net/dupartition.jpg

When you reformat the drive, you can change the file system, so it doesn't really matter what file system is currently in place--it gets overwritten, anyway.

Tuca
01-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Disk Utility reports the disk as being Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and i can partition it as i please. I started off by wiping the original 3 partitions on the disk created by XP that showed up fine.

Still, when i switch back to the installer it doesn't let me install onto any partitions on that drive. Even when there's a single partition with a reported 37 GB free. In Disk Utility it always shows 34 GB used even after an erase.