PDA

View Full Version : panther

luvs2fish
12-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Hello,
Help for a kinda newbie.
I just got panther & 2, 512 rams. I'm really wanting to start fresh and do a clean install. I also want to keep 9, cause I have games that the kids want. I would like to partition both systems. Can I burn the programs I want to keep to disc and then just drag them to the new system? I don't have the installers for some. Will this still work. I'm getting very nervous on doing all of this. If I loose some things thats ok, because I can always download them again, but would like to keep my music and pictures for sure. I'm also having trouble with my cd burner. I was able to burn the games from 9, but when I tried to burn my pictures I kept get an error 6. Does anyone know that one. My pics were around 500 mb. Shouldn't I be able to put them on one disc. The disc says 700. Can I burn my old iTunes with all my music or should I try and burn each song? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Vicki
I have an iMac 600 with 256 right now.:confused:

ulrichm
12-15-2003, 11:55 AM
If you safe applcations to an external disk, make sure that you also get all their preference files as they sometimes keep your serial numbers.

schneb
12-15-2003, 11:59 AM
It always pays to backup. This is a must-do first. As for you pictures, split up the backup into two 250MB, you may have a corrupt file. Is the photos in the iPhoto file format? I would not leave them that way. I would export each photo as a jpeg and save those on CD. I do not trust iPhoto as an archive file system.

After you back up your files, install Panther. It should take many of your OS9 files and revert them over, including your applications. It will keep your OS9 applications seperate from your OSX apps.

nkuvu
12-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by schneb
Is the photos in the iPhoto file format?
Er? iPhoto stores images as jpegs, I believe. No export necessary.