PDA

View Full Version : access denied when copying folder from 9

adeboer
12-05-2003, 09:38 AM
We just got an Xserver - well, we got it last March, but got it fixed up after we had some hardware problems with it..

Whenever my graphics department tries to copy a folder from Classic 9 , a message pops up saying access denied, not enough privileges. But when doing the same task from X , it copies over fine without any error messages. All the permissions are wide open - Read and Writte for Owner, Group, and Everyone.

Any thoughts??

elmimmo
12-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Are the files in that folder being used by any process, app or whatever (like open documents, fonts, etc)? 9 is quite more picky about that than X.

adeboer
12-17-2003, 09:49 AM
Are the files in that folder being used by any process, app or whatever (like open documents, fonts, etc)? 9 is quite more picky about that than X.

No....I don't think so. Just to make sure, I made a folder on the destop, created and saved a SimpleText document into that folder - same result! "The item cannot be written because you do not have enough access privileges. Do you want to continue?" No font or app is going to be tied to a folder on the destop with a SimpleText document in it......

If you do say "Yes", continue, it will copy the folder, but not the contents!

I can't be the first one to have this problem. This problem isn't limited to Xserve.....I am in the same situation using a G3 with Panther on it - it has a external firewire drive with volumes on it. All the volumes have the ownership and permissions wide open (Read and write) on everything. I even have the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" checkbox checked

Then I try copying the same folder from an OS X machine...copies fine without any complaints. Bottom line: copying from 9 -X results in an error (Access privileges)
copying from X - X works fine.

Still frustrated...

Adrian

adeboer
12-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Uncheck the checkbox- "Ignore ownership on this volume" and check your group permissions!