PDA

View Full Version : Safari won't open Acrobat for .pdf Files!

Boutsik
11-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Panther installed iBook.
When I click a PDF File in Safari now, it won't open Acrobat and download the file, but instead opens the pdf file in a new Safari window and I always end up with just the first page. How do I get ACROBAT back to being a helper for PDF Files? Is this a PANTHER Flaw?

I had to go back to using I.E. to get the PDF files I needed.

Also, SAFARI seems to have lost all my passwords during the upgrade.

Any suggestions???

Thanks
Dennis B

capsul
11-13-2003, 06:24 PM
hi dennis,

you might want to try opening your acrobat reader application and look for a message during application startup that asks if you want acrobat to handle the viewing of pdf files (not exact wording) - i believe that if another application is designated to do so, arobat will ask..

also, in safari prefs (general), there is an option to open "safe files" upon download - pdf is listed there as a safe file.

hope this helps!

Boutsik
11-13-2003, 10:48 PM
Yes, thanks, I've done both those things and Safari is still opening pdf files into a new Safari screen. It shows only the first page of any document, with no way to scroll. It's simply NOT downloading the file to be opened by other programs.

I'm very unhappy with Panther right now.

Dale Sorel
11-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Why in the heck would you want to use that POS Acrobat when you have Preview, which is much, much faster?

darndog
11-14-2003, 04:58 AM
Check '/Library/Internet Plug-Ins' for "PDF Browser Plugin" or similar. dD

Boutsik
11-14-2003, 06:23 AM
But, SAFARI isn't downloading anything. It's simply opening the files in another SAFARI window. So I don't know how I would get PREVIEW or ACROBAT or ANY PROGRAM to open it.

So the first problem is, getting SAFARI to download .PDF files. And then I would be happy to take your advice.

rusto
11-14-2003, 06:27 AM
Option-click the link to the .pdf file to download it instead of view it.

Boutsik
11-14-2003, 06:29 AM
But I never had to do that before?
Why suddenly is SAFARI not working?

rusto
11-14-2003, 06:35 AM
dunno, running v1.1 here and .pdfs download on their own w/out option-click.

Boutsik
11-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Okay, there is no plug-in in the Internet/Library/Plug-ins .....So, what do I do?

jdhorner
11-14-2003, 07:28 AM
I will have to echo rusto's comments in that I have v1.1 here and .pdf files download automatically to the desktop, waiting for me to open them with my viewer of choice. However, what I would like to know is how you're getting anything PDF related to open in Safari at all. I have always wanted to be able to view an entire PDF file directly in the Safari browser (natively, without plug-ins and such) and wondered why this feature hasn't been implemented. Boutsik, it sounds like you almost have a feature I'd like (albeit in your case, it doesn't seem to be quite what you're looking for).

Anyway, everything's working here... perhaps you can rummage through more pref files?

Boutsik
11-14-2003, 07:32 AM
Well, if I knew that I wouldn't be posting and posting, would I? (place smiley face here)

I'm glad it's working for you, but the reason I'm posting this request for help is that it is not working for me. It has stopped. If you have a suggestion as to where to look it would be quite helpful.

darndog
11-14-2003, 07:37 AM
please run a search for "PDF Browser Plugin" on your Startup disk, If you are running Panther you will have to explicitly add the root Library folder to get it to search there. dD

Boutsik
11-14-2003, 07:43 AM
Could you tell me what specifically to write in the Finder box? So far I haven't found anything...

rusto
11-14-2003, 07:51 AM
Are you sure you're running v1.1? Perhaps v1.0 survived the upgrade to Panther and that is what you are running while v1.1 is there somewhere but not getting launched.

I only mention this because it happened to me with a different app. after the Jaguar upgrade. I'd moved the app, Jag installed a new version and I still had a link to the old version in Drag Thing so was clueless that I was running an older version until problems started cropping up.

Boutsik
11-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Yes, I'm sure.
Running 1.1 (v100).

rusto
11-14-2003, 08:03 AM
Thx. Just eliminatiing the obvious.

DeltaMac
11-14-2003, 08:12 AM
This must be some change in your user settings. A PDF Browser Plugin does not show anywhere on my system, and Safari downloads without viewing PDFs.
Try adding a new user, and then try a PDF from Safari with a new user. That will show you if it's somewhere in that user's prefs, or a general system config.

darndog
11-14-2003, 08:16 AM
open a pdf file in a safari window then right click (or Control Click), the pdf. Does it say "About the PDF Browser Plugin" etc... dD

Boutsik
11-14-2003, 10:41 AM
What do you mean control-click the PDF file?
It's in the Safari Browser. Where on the Safari browser would I control-click it? In the Address box?
Somewhere on the page?

And another clue: I tried logging in as a different user and used that SAFARI and the PDF download worked fine.

rusto
11-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Boutsik
What do you mean control-click the PDF file?
It's in the Safari Browser. Where on the Safari browser would I control-click it? In the Address box?
Somewhere on the page?

And another clue: I tried logging in as a different user and used that SAFARI and the PDF download worked fine.

I said option-click the link to the pdf, presumably you are clicking a link to a pdf that is opening right up IN Safari.

darndog
11-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Actually I think that one was for me...

Control click (or right click), anywhere on the pdf page that's displayed in Safari, on some text or an image for example. dD

Boutsik
11-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Yes, thanks DD.
I did all that and nothing happened.

Boutsik
11-14-2003, 11:41 AM
And, also, yes, option clicking the PDF icon does in fact allow the file to be downloaded. So thanks for that.

BUT, THIS never happened until I upgraded to PANTHER...and it doesn't happen on the other user that I created to test it. So Something is wrong.
But WHAT???

darndog
11-14-2003, 12:11 PM
You may have stumbled on an unimplemented feature, check ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist for any entries with pdf, use plist editor (installs with dev tools) or terminal:

cat Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist | grep pdf

also try:

cat Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist | grep PDF

dD

DeltaMac
11-14-2003, 12:14 PM
I like a 'shotgun' approach for some internet settings. Login in as your main user. Find these files in your user/Library/Preferences folder

com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist
com.apple.Safari.plist
com.apple.internetconfig.plist

trash each file, then Logout and Logback in.

Now re-try your pdf viewing/downloading. If all goes well, should work the same as the new user....

rusto
11-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Make sure you do the trash-logout-login in for EACH of the above listed .plists individually so we can figure out which (if any) was the culprit.

darndog
11-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Isn't anyone else interested in finding out how this 'Bug' can be replicated? the chances of this functionality happening by accident are remote, if the plist files are trashed now we will probably have to wait for Safari 1.x to see this again. dD

rusto
11-14-2003, 01:54 PM
True, then rather than trash them, put them one-by-one on the Desktop. When (if) it's determined one of them is the cause it can be compared to the new one generated.

khabrook
11-14-2003, 03:02 PM
try downloading pdf browser-it is free and u can get to at macupdate. It works great with safariopens pdfs and saves them

Boutsik
11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Well, I moved all three of those files to the desktop and rebooted and the problem remained.

The question remains, where in the SAFARI program do the instructions to download files or open browser windows reside? And why should this function work smoothly for a different user that I create and not for me. I can easily just press Option-click and have done with it, but now I feel like I want to get to the bottom of it.

Any other thoughts?

DarnDog--I don't understand what it is you're suggesting...after I open terminal, what is it you think I should type in?

DeltaMac
11-15-2003, 10:40 AM
If a new user works as you expect, then a preference file(s) stored in your main user/Library would be the suspect.
Likely places to look for suspect files:
user/Library/Application Support/Adobe folder
user/Library/Safari folder (I have 4 files plus an Icons folder there, do you see others?)
lastly user/Library/Preferences/Adobe or Acrobat folders

any, or all of these items could be moved to the desktop, and try your issue again, one of these should be the culprit, unless a hidden file is causing this issue, but that shouldn't be likely, just comparing the existing pref files listed between the 2 users should show the difference.

darndog
11-15-2003, 10:49 AM
Ok, fundamentals. Safari does not support viewing PDF files so this is either a Third party plugin which would usually reside in:

NameOfYourStartupDisk/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

and sometimes:

YourHomeDirectory/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

OR

This is an undocumented feature still in Beta and has been left in the latest build of Safari.

If what you are telling us is correct then I would expect to find the plug-in in your user directory.

Open a terminal and type (or copy & paste) this text:
ls -la Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins

If all this contains is two lines both ending in dot(s), then go to your login items in sys prefs and let us know what apps start up when you log in (found in: Login Item pref in 10.2.X, Accounts pref in 10.3.X).

if there is nothing obvious there then stutdown all apps except Safari and Terminal open another terminal window and make it as big as possible, then type:
wait a second or so and hit the 'q' key. copy all text in the window and post it to this thread. dD

darndog
11-15-2003, 11:09 AM
I note that your symptoms are exactly the same as this (http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@33.dWdfahHIlKj.2@.599b9594) 'PDF Browser Plug-in' user who posted 16 days earlier on the Apple Safari Forums. :D dD

STOP THE PRESS check out this (http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@33.dWdfahHIlKj.2@.599b211f) user who fixed same problem by downloading the Quicktime Java update...

capsul
11-15-2003, 04:12 PM
I believe that he meant to OTION-Click the link to the pdf, on the previous page - that should force the download of whatever that link is tied to.

perhaps you can test it out on you new user profile to see first what it should do, then compare that with your usual account.

Boutsik
11-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Capsul
I was responding to DarnDog. And if you read the thread you'll see that I did that option-click on the pdf icon and YES it works. But, I shouldn't have to do that.

DarnDog

I went to that forum, read the thread, and YES, you are correct except for one thing..there is no Quicktime Java Update to be found. Even the one place I did find it, on Versiontracker, when you tried to download it, nothing happens..and in fact others have mentioned not being able to get the update too.

So, does anyone know what to do now? Where the Quicktime Update for Java is? Is it buried into something else? Or HOW DO I SOLVE THIS???

capsul
11-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Hi Dennis,

Yes, I DID read the thread - and DID understand what YOU wrote. My reply was posted after you posted "What do you mean control-click the PDF file? It's in the Safari Browser. Where on the Safari browser would I control-click it? In the Address box? Somewhere on the page? " - my post originally appeared before rusto's suggestion..

My location is sixteen hours ahead of EDT, so if many posts occur within a short time span, my post may read out of order - apologies that it upset you.

Boutsik
11-15-2003, 10:35 PM
C
Not upset at all.
Frustrated with SAFARI, that's all.
I appreciate any help whatsoever.

Thanks
Dennis

darndog
11-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Apple pulled the Java 1.4.1 update 1 for 'revision', not sure if this is your file, Searching Apple Support for "Quicktime Java update" lists a load of possible candidates though. check your Software Update PrefPane first, then start trying some of the Support links.

could you also open a terminal and type:

locate "PDF Browser"

This should produce no text, I'd just like you to rule it out. dD

Boutsik
11-15-2003, 10:55 PM
I opened terminal, typed what you suggested and nothing happened. Is that the desired result?

My software update tells me that I'm up to date with
everything.

Those posts that you pointed me to were all suffering EXACTLY the same thing I am.

darndog
11-15-2003, 11:15 PM
yep, locate "PDF Browser" = nothing is what I wanted to hear.

Go to the Apple Support area, search for "Quicktime Java Update" then download and try* to install the likely candidates (ignore the OS 9 updates).

May be the file you want is the one they pulled, if that's the case you may just have to wait until they fix it and rerelease it, info is on Apple Support page. dD

*Updater will not run if update is already installed.

Boutsik
11-16-2003, 10:40 AM
DD

I greatly appreciate your help.
I'm having no luck finding the update but will keep searching.

Secoa
06-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Boutsik

I am unfortunately experiencing the same problems. In that when I try and open/download a PDF document from Safari it does not download and Adobe does not open up. I posted a similar question at www.appletalk.com.au and they pointed me to this post.

If you get an answer please post it so I can fix my Safari as this is annoying.

Secoa
06-23-2004, 08:19 AM
I tried to open the same web-pages via ie 5.2 and I got the attached message.It looks like we don't have the correct installed plugins

(Hey you can tell I am clutching at straws here)

rgray
06-23-2004, 09:30 AM
.... looks like we don't have the correct installed plugins ...

Try (http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/)

Secoa
06-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Rgray

thanks for this it worked. Noting it does not work as it used to, but now I can preview a PDF within Safari without downloading it. I might say it only works for Safari. But as this is my preferred browser i do not mind.

rgray
06-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Glad to be of help, secoa. After rereading this whole thread, I would suggest you bring your Panther up to date (10.3.4 - use the Combo) - Safari is at 1.2.2. In fact if it were my machine behaving as you describe, I would consider a nice clean re-install of Panther essential before the update.

Secoa
06-24-2004, 12:12 AM
I am running 10.3.4 with Safari at 1.2.2.

I have never done a clean re-install and am not sure how to do it. Can you point me in the right direction as well as some pointers to be aware of.

Thanks

fnordle
09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
OK, I was plagued with this same problem- out of the blue, Safari seemed to stop downloading files. Yes, I could Right-Click and do a Save As.., or enter the address of the file and hit Option-Return, etc., but none of this did me any good when it came to certain Java/Javascript pages that required me to click, did a re-direct, and then sent a d/l command. I tried trashing prefs, I tried every setting I could think of- no go, until someone happened to ask if I'd ever installed Speed Download at any point and happened to trash it manually instead of running the Uninstaller. That rang a bell, so I went to my ~user/Library/Internet Plug-ins/ folder, and, sure enough, there was the nasty little bugger that had been causing me so much grief- a long-forgotten copy of SpeedDownload Browser Plug-in that was intercepting my download requests and directing them... nowhere. I had completely forgotten about trying that program, and it neverclicked as a cause and effect for some reason. Anyhow, if you've ever installed that app (or something similar), you may want to check the above-named folder, as well as the /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ folder to make sure nothing intercepting your d/l requests.

lowilfred
09-14-2004, 03:49 AM
But, SAFARI isn't downloading anything. It's simply opening the files in another SAFARI window. So I don't know how I would get PREVIEW or ACROBAT or ANY PROGRAM to open it.

So the first problem is, getting SAFARI to download .PDF files. And then I would be happy to take your advice.

good for you. i have been used to i.e. automatically opening a .pdf file on the browser itself and has been wondering why my safari cannot do that. my safari downloads the file instead of just opening it. and it's happening to your safari : what i exactly want my safari to do. maybe we should switch safaris

muttley
11-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Try the following link:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@146.zU7ZaUabAQE.326287@.689e0ba1

romorichard
04-09-2008, 05:49 PM
:D OK Here it is folks. I had the same problem with Safari only opening one page of a PDF and it took an hour on the phone with Apple Support but it now works. Apparently for no good reason ".plist" files become corrupt in the system preferences.

Here is how to fix:
1. Quit Safari
2. Open your hard drive.
3. Click your User Profile Icon
4. Click Library
5. Click Preferences
6. Look for files named "com.apple.Safari.plist" (and/or) "com.apple.Safari.plist.saved"
7. Drag one or both files on to your desk top
8. Relaunch Safari and test a PDF doc
9. If it now works (my Safari did) trash the com.apple.Safari.plist and/or com.apple.Safari.plist.saved files and empty the trash.

Don't worry about trashing the file you computer will create new ones as soon as you relaunch Safari again. You may have to go back and change a few of your preferences...but you will be able to view the entire PDF doc in your Safari again... Good luck!

Cheers, :D

RRR

keuka77
04-10-2008, 02:11 PM
:D

I was having major problems with PDF files and Safari. Your method of trashing the "com.apple.Safari.plist" file worked perfectly!

I do legal research, and it was driving me NUTZ, since most files are in pdf format.

Many, many thanks !

Keuka77

romorichard
04-10-2008, 06:37 PM
:D

I was having major problems with PDF files and Safari. Your method of trashing the "com.apple.Safari.plist" file worked perfectly! I do legal research, and it was driving me NUTZ, since most files are in pdf format. Many, many thanks !

Keuka77

Glad to help...Hopefully more people can find this post as well. Drove me crazy for a few days as well:eek: Had to suck it up and call Apple for help...whish I had earlier.

Your welcome
RRR:rolleyes:

lmcgraw
06-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Had the same problem after new Acrobat reader/Acrobat Professional installed, found this link on Adobe's site: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333545.html quickest fix for me.

lmcgraw
06-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Wrong link, sorry, instructions to quickly resolving this problem is to open Adobe Reader/Acrobat which ever is set as a default to opening your PDFs. Go to Internet and deselect the "Display PDF in browser using: Adobe Reader/Acrobat" and Safari will again start using it's native PDF viewer within the browser.

rscott3141
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Wrong link, sorry, instructions to quickly resolving this problem is to open Adobe Reader/Acrobat which ever is set as a default to opening your PDFs. Go to Internet and deselect the "Display PDF in browser using: Adobe Reader/Acrobat" and Safari will again start using it's native PDF viewer within the browser.

Thanks for the tip Imcgraw; returned operation to normal. Really appreciate the help!

For anyone else trying to fix this, I found "Internet" in the preferences menu of Adobe Reader.

thistlefur
12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
I have spent HOURS today trying to get Safari to download more than the first page of a PDF. Aughghgh!

I am running OSX 10.6.2 on MBP. Safari 4.0.3.

I have tried all of these options: right-clicking on the link, replacing the com.apple.Safari.plist, opening in a new window, saving as to the hard drive, etc. to no avail.

It works just fine on my iMac at work, but I am not at work…

I would prefer NOT to use Acrobat Reader if I can help it, because I understand it is incredibly slow.

Does ANYONE know how to get Safari to download a multipage PDF? I don't care if it opens in Preview automatically or if I have to open it later, I just need to get the darn file!

Frustrated in Indiana

benwiggy
12-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Does ANYONE know how to get Safari to download a multipage PDF? I don't care if it opens in Preview automatically or if I have to open it later, I just need to get the darn file!
I've not heard of this problem before.

First thing to try is to see if the problem persists in a brand new user account. If everything works properly, then you know that the problem is caused by something in your user preferences, or other user file.

If the problem still continues in the new account, then there is something system-wide affecting Safari.

You say you've tried right-clicking on the link. You mean to download the file to your downloads folder? And can you view that file in Preview? It is very weird that just downloading a file should only download the first page. Does the filesize of the saved PDF file match expectations? A 1-page PDF would be quite small, under 200Kb.

Could it be that only the first page is being displayed, and there seems to be no way to scroll down to the rest of the pages?

chabig
12-21-2009, 07:55 AM
This does sound more like a display problem than a download problem (a digital file is a complete unit--you can't just download one page!). So I would suggest looking away from Safari and at Preview itself. Perhaps delete some Preview plists and see what happens.

thistlefur
12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Hello. I seem to read of others with similar problems, but it seems like everyone has different solutions, none of which work in my case.

I did create a different user, with the same results. They all open in Preview, but only the first page; even stating "one page" in the header bar.

Yes, I've tried the 1. normal click, open PDF as a new window in Safari, 2. control click, download file to HD open from there, 3. option click, 4. enter source code manually, all give me the same thing--the first page of the document at an appropriate size (29KB).

The top of the page lists page 1/1, and the scroll bars end at the bottom of that page.

A friend suggested I try Google Chrome. Same results. Problem HAS to be in Preview.

Re-installed Adobe Reader. Problem still continues, Adobe Reader reads page 1/1.

I know there are more pages and they do download as I checked it at work. (How foolish of me to not take work time to email the pdf to myself, but I thought I could retrieve it later.)

Ideas?

DeltaMac
12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
As others have suggested, I don't think it's possible to download only one page of a pdf.
Maybe you are lucky enough to choose to only download files that have just one page - :)
I suspect that if Adobe Reader says the pdf is only one page, that it is, in fact, only one page. :D
How about a link to a file that you have downloaded, and you only get one page, but you are sure there are more pages?

nitz
01-04-2010, 08:52 AM
I have a new computer with snow leopard installed. When Safari started up, it was ignoring the acrobat plugin that was installed (9.0.2) and it was opening the pdfs in preview. It wasn't showing up in the list of plugins when you select "Installed Plugins" from the help menu in Safari.

The solution is to change Safari to run in 32-bit mode. To do this find and select the application in Finder and press CMD-i to view info. There you should click the checkbox that says "run in 32-bit mode". Restart Safari.

Assuming you have the Acrobat reader properly installed, Safari should now view all pdfs with the Adobe plugin and not Preview.

I just wanted to post this here because this page kept coming up over and over in my google results when I searched for a solution.

benwiggy
01-04-2010, 09:53 AM
The solution is to change Safari to run in 32-bit mode. To do this find and select the application in Finder and press CMD-i to view info. There you should click the checkbox that says "run in 32-bit mode". Restart Safari.
Assuming you have the Acrobat reader properly installed, Safari should now view all pdfs with the Adobe plugin and not Preview.
That will be because the Acrobat plug-in is not yet 64-bit.

However, running Safari 32-bit seems like a high price to pay, just to have a slightly different toolbar when viewing a PDF online.

Personally, I favour Preview in Safari over Acrobat. It's faster and more stable, for starters.