PDA

View Full Version : Panther Slowness?

maclaxguy
11-04-2003, 07:51 PM
After recently installing Panther, I downloaded the full-size Matrix Revolutions trailer from the Matrix website. After it finally finished (around 100Mb!), i opened it in QuickTime Player, and to my dismay, it stuttered pretty badly. I thought maybe it was just a super-intensive movie, but when I booted into 10.2 off another HD and played the movie (on the same machine, an 867MHz G4 SP) it played nice and silky smooth, no stuttering.
My question is this: has anyone else noticed this? If not, what can I look to do to fix it?

hayne
11-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by maclaxguy
when I booted into 10.2 off another HD and played the movie (on the same machine, an 867MHz G4 SP) it played nice and silky smooth, no stuttering. Maybe that other hard drive is faster than the one you are using with Panther?
Especially the first time you play a movie, it is accessing the disk a lot while it is playing and so the speed of the disk affects it a lot. Often a second playing of the movie (without quiting QuickTime Player) will be smoother since the movie is mostly loaded into RAM by then.

Bruce Miller
11-04-2003, 10:45 PM
While Panther speeded up my G3 Pismo Powerbook overall, I find DVD movies play back less smoothly than 10.2 did. I wouldn't be surprised that Panther is designed to off-load to current Mac's higher video RAM, and older Macs show their age and limited resources when pushed (I have all of 8MB video RAM).

marquez
11-04-2003, 11:06 PM
I had the exact same problem - Matrix Revolutions on a g4 800 powerbook. On 10.2, it was nice and fluid, but certainly not on Panther. I've found everything in Panther much faster except for processor intensive Quicktimes.