PDA

View Full Version : active x and internet explorer

drdkey
10-27-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm using a 17"powerbook on a hospital ethernet. The hospital finally has xrays viewable online using a product from IDX. I found out today that I can't access this page because it requires active X which is not present in IE for MAC. Any ideas how to get around this problem without purchasing Virtual PC? Is Active X present on IE in Virtual PC? Will Virtual PC solve my problem?

java_guy
10-27-2003, 05:00 PM
ActiveX components are compiled executables that are basically browser plug-Ins. Well, actually it is more than that but for this thread let's keep it at that.:D

Anyway, Unless they, IDX - the makers of the ActiveX plug in, have a Mac version, you are out of luck.

You'd have to use VPC or a Windows machine.

hayne
10-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Active X is (more or less) a way of running a Windows program within a browser window. So it's not too surprising that it's not available for Macintosh. I.e. the issue is not that Active X is unavailable in your browser - it is that the hospital is supplying a Windows-only program for you to execute.

Anyway, Virtual PC should solve your problem. Virtual PC does not emulate Windows - it emulates the PC hardware. The Windows operating system that runs inside Virtual PC is the same software that runs on PCs. So the Internet Explorer is the standard Windows Internet Explorer, etc.