PDA

View Full Version : Blessing an OSX 10.2.8 System Manually

knowmad
10-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Anyone know how to do it? I knwo i have seen something on it in the past but now cannot find it and the apple knwoledge base is down.... help?
knowmad

DeltaMac
10-16-2003, 03:38 PM
If you're asking how to that with the OS X System, what kind of problem are you having now??
'Blessing' the System Folder is purely a pre-OS X need.
(from Apple Support files) The Mac OS 9 System Folder may not be "blessed" by Mac OS X. A System Folder is said to be "blessed" when it is recognized by the Finder as valid and active. Open the System Preferences application and choose Classic from the View menu. When none of your volumes contains a blessed Mac OS 9 System Folder, all the volumes appear dimmed. You may see an alert box with the message:

"No startup volume: There is no volume with a system folder that supports starting Classic. Please install Mac OS 9.1 or later."

It may not be necessary to reinstall Mac OS 9. You may simply need to "bless" the existing System Folder. Follow these steps:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu
2. Choose Startup Disk from the View menu. The Startup Disk pane appears.
3. Note the current Startup Disk selection, which is a Mac OS X volume.
4. Click the Mac OS 9 System Folder you want to bless.
5. Choose Show All from the View menu. A sheet appears to confirm your choice in Step 4.
6. Click Change.
7. Choose Startup Disk from the View menu.
8. Reselect the volume you noted in Step 3.
9. Choose Show All from the View menu. A sheet appears to confirm your choice in Step 8.
10. Click Change.
That's it!

knowmad
10-16-2003, 05:03 PM
thanks for the reply (in both forums).

I am actually having an issue with 'no blessed system found' on a 10.2.8 G5

heres what i did and you can tell me what you think:

Got new G5, first in long line to come. Set it up just right, locked everything down, created admin user and set the default for new users so they will get the dock with all apps already there, run the updates, set the clock, etc...

Run delocaliser to remove localisation files (601MB worth)

Run Repair permissions while booted from a fire wire drive, run diskwarior as well.

Run Carbon Copy Cloner to create an ASRable compressed image of the G5, this is done while I am booted from an external partitioned FireWire drive.

when that has finished I then go back to check if my image works by ASRing it back onto the G5. (ASR stands for Apple Software Restore, just for those who are tuning in now). To do this I open a terminal window and type:
asr -source /storage/Mac.img -target /Volumes/Mac -erase
That is supposed to erase the target drive and then do a block level copy of the info onto the target drive making a perfvect 'new' machine.

What happened is that i got an error about having no rights to erase the drive, but it had already unmounted the drive and i could not run ASR again without remounting the internal hard drive. To fix that i used Hard Disk Utility (in Utilities folder, not the command) to erase the target drive and then i re-ran ASR but left off the -erase option. Result was a perfect copy EXCEPT it would not boot (which makes it an imperfect copy). First thing i did was boot from the FW drive again and run DiskWarrior which found some minor usual errors (about three of them) nothing bad, AND it found 'no blessed system folder, please choose one' so i did. and then it booted fine from the internal drive. so, any way i can bless a system 10.2.8 system folder without running diskwarrior?
knowmad

knowmad
10-17-2003, 08:36 AM
Ok, so over int he unix forum one of the mackers there pointed out that the command line way of blessing a system folder is to type "bless -folder"

so special thanks to hschickel and his full response can be found here:
unix forum - command line for blessing system folder (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16099)