PDA

View Full Version : Random Programs Will Not Open at all + Finder problems.

afro_puff
10-03-2003, 12:10 PM
When I try to open certain programs (a bunch of them) their icon with show up for like one millisecond (not even enough for the whole icon to show in the dock) and then disappear.

Also, the Mail.app will open completely but if I try to open an email it will just 'unexpectedly quit.'

Lastly, when I try to open certain folders on my external hard drive it appears that the finder restarts (all the icons on the desktop disappear for a second but the finder doesn't actually restart) and then they come back but the folder won't open.

I just reinstalled my system 2 DAYS AGO!!!! Running 10.2.6 (heard that the 10.2.8 got pulled). This doesn't make any sense and I haven't even installed the developers tools.

I hope you can help!

yellow
10-03-2003, 12:37 PM
And the logs say? Quite possibly a cutsie haxie has broken your file system's back?

afro_puff
10-03-2003, 12:42 PM
what logs? i don't have any haxies installed yet.

well... meteo, tigerlaunch, PTH iTunes Notifier, PTH CPU monitor, PTH Clock.

i will turn those off and restart, but other than those menubar thingies that is it.

tell me where these so called 'logs' are ;)

yellow
10-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Well, any of those non-Apple thingies could be the culprit. Try holding down shift when you login to turn off all your login items and see if the problem persists. The crash logs are in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ .

mervTormel
10-03-2003, 12:54 PM
this smells an awful lot like the execle errors in this thread (http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15619&highlight=execle)

examine /var/log/system.log for execle errors

these "crashes" did not post crash logs in user library

yellow
10-03-2003, 12:56 PM
In 10.2.6 though?

mervTormel
10-03-2003, 01:01 PM
there is mention that it may be related to stuffit 8.0 (??), which may have been the case here, maybe.

can't tell here anymore because something very naughty ate my /library/ yesterday :mad:

afro_puff
10-03-2003, 05:11 PM
yeah i just installed stuffit deluxe 8.0...

is that the problem?

afro_puff
10-03-2003, 05:26 PM
ok, i just got that app and yes it fixed the problems with the apps that I downloaded and unstuffed... however:

that wasn't the problem with the mail.app program which still opens up just fine but will not let me click on an email AND

I still can't access that folder on my external harddrive, it just makes all the icons on the desktop disappear for a second and won't actually open the folder. this is a bigger problem to me than my mail.app but in the end I want to fix them both!

thx for the help so far, at least we killed a few birds.

yellow
10-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Then you need to use Disk Utility to try and repair the external drive and check the logs for the mail.app crash. ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Mail.crash.log

mervTormel
10-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by afro_puff
ok, i just got that app and yes it fixed the problems with the apps that I downloaded and unstuffed...
huh?

please help us out here. it sounds like you discovered something about fixing the execle errors on app launch?

please explain your above observation.

afro_puff
10-04-2003, 11:25 AM
just stumbled home drunk to find the 10.2.8 update on my screen (i assume its a new version). i installed it and everything was fixed!

thanks for everything guys!

btw merv, I was talking about the aladdin program "FixPermissionsOnPackages" on their website that fixed all the programs that wouldn't load at all.