PDA

View Full Version : Anyone visit Iconfactory.com?

Twelve Motion
09-24-2003, 12:22 AM
I am a big fan of thier site but I have a few questions about fonts in general.

Many time I download "trash" icons and "trash full" icons. They go on your trashcan and change the way it looks when it's full and empty. But I have no idea how to put anything on my trash can. How do you make use of these icons? Also is there a way to change the basic system icons? For example I download and love the icons set called "File Cabinets" I manually replaces all of my folder icons with them. Is there a way to have my computer do it on it's own? Whenever I create a new folder it makes it with a file cabinet icon?

Jacques
09-24-2003, 08:52 AM
There are a few ways to do it, the easiest by far is by using CandyBar - see the IconFactory.com website for details on this program.

Jacques

Jacques
09-24-2003, 12:35 PM
As a matter of fact, a new version (http://www.iconfactory.com/cb_home.asp) came out today.

Jacques

Twelve Motion
09-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks alot!

vancenase
09-24-2003, 04:29 PM
so what is the difference between candybar and pixadex? do they both do the same thing? just one is more 'pretty' (i.e. has the nice iPhoto like display)?

or, but looking at the descriptions, it looks like pixadex is just a search and storage tool -- odd, since it is more $$ than candybar.

Jacques
09-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Exactly.

CandyBar neatly replaces every system font, you can use iContainers to do this - very well done.

Pixadex is basically an iPhoto for icon storage. Nicely done as well.

Worth mentioning, you can also have a decent icon storage system using the excellent freeware CM plug-in 'Finder Icon'.

off topic: It's written by the same folks that make 'QuickImage' and 'Calculate Size..', some other excellent freeware CM plug-ins.

Search MU or VT for these, enjoy - it's fun to customize a bit!

Jacques

robarmo
09-24-2003, 07:34 PM
Dunno if anyone has noticed this, but I realised the other day that using custom folder icons was the cause of seemingly random errors when transferring files to a windows machine.

When transferring files to an Win ME box I seemed to get random problems, just used to get error codes - Didn't seem to be any particular file size or no. of files etc. I made sure all files had extensions, no illegal characters etc. But still this problem.

Then the other day we got a new PC running XP Home. I was moving files across from my iMac and was still getting random transfer errors - this time stating an error copying a file called "icon".
However sometimes, despite the error, all the files would transfer. Sometimes only some of the files or folders would transfer, and other times, (especially if lots of sub-folders) non of the files would transfer.
Crazy huh? I couldn't find a common factor that explained this randomness....

Until I tried pulling the files across from the XP box that is. It seems that all the files alphabetically before the letter "i" were transferring fine. Windows seems to be receiving the files in alphabetical order (including invisible files), choking on any icon files, and then suspending the transfer. Every folder I have customised (using the cut and paste method) appears to contain an invisible icon file, obviously multiple customized subfolders contain multiple invisible icon files = more problems.

Don't know if the likes of Candybar work in the same way, but if you are experiencing file transfer problems with Windows boxes, try sending them across in default folders and see if the problem disappears.

Hope that helps someone.

Rob.