PDA

View Full Version : Is JAVA 1.4.1 causing problems in Safari ??????

BondoMan
09-19-2003, 01:46 AM
After I installed JAVA 1.4.1 I noticed very slow page-downloads.
On some pages - like MacUpdate or Versiontracker - I have problems finishing the download of the graphics on the page. Some other items on the pages are also very slow.... guess it's some stuff generated by Java.
PS: I saw some other threads here noticing similar experiences...
Any suggestions ?????

djkowall
09-19-2003, 08:40 PM
I haven't noticed any problems since the update, even though it appears that I've done it twice. Here's a copy of a question I've been posting about it:

This week Software Update offered me Java 1.4.1 for Mac OS X. It was downloaded and installed without any problems (such a great machine!). When I went to file away the descriptive article about it with my notations of when and by what means I did the update, I came across the exact same article with notes saying that I had done this 1.4.1 update on 3-31 via Software Update, along with security updates that were originally offered on 3-3 and 3-24.

Why would the Software Update program even offer a repeat of an update done nearly 6 months ago? I find no differences when comparing the 2 pages which both are from Apple>Mac OS X>Technologies>Java

Has anyone else discovered that they've repeated this update?

DeltaMac
09-19-2003, 09:11 PM
This newer update is actually titled Java 1.4.1 Update 1, refer toTHIS PAGE (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/java.html) for a 'little' more info (not a lot of difference, as I recall, people had more problems with the installer than anything about the update itself, I think this is just a corrective update)

djkowall
09-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Thank you for helping to prove that Software Update and myself are not quite senile (yet). :D