PDA

View Full Version : iBook Lid Sleep

Jacques
09-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jdhorner, from 'Need a hack to make the ibook run while closed' thread
you know, i'm actually glad that this thread popped up. i have had my iBook 600 since this summer. for a few weeks, when i closed the lid on the machine, it would put itself to sleep. well, a few months into the life of this mac, it started doing that less and less, or it would go to sleep, and then a few seconds later, it would wake up, sleep, wake up, sleep...

the only way i could get it to sleep was to manually press the power button and choose "sleep" from the menu. in fact, now, that's the ONLY way. it doesn't even know the lid is closed anymore.

the only helpful tip i got on this was to manually reset the power manager. (the little button on the left side of the computer). that did nothing for me. again, i'm sorry that this is a little off-topic, and i don't want to hijack the thread, but i wish the poster and i could switch places. he has a machine that he never wants to sleep, and i would love to get lid-sleep functionality back.

does anyone have any insight on this issue?

Same here :). Any ideas or advise on how to fix this?

Jacques

hayne
09-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Well, as I recall, the sleep-upon-closing-of-lid is done by virtue of a little magnet on the right side of the keyboard that pulls a metal switch in the lid closed when the lid gets close enough. Try it with your own magnet. Not that this necessarily helps any, but it might suggest a solution to someone.
Or maybe it was on the left side of the keyboard - I can't really remember.

Jacques
09-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Hmm.. are you talking about the hook-magnet action in the center of the screen? I see that magnet draws out the latch when it comes close, very clever!

I wonder if the lid latch that gets pulled by the magnet is also a switch, perhaps that's what needs to be fixed.

Jacques

hayne
09-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Jacques
Hmm.. are you talking about the hook-magnet action in the center of the screen? I see that magnet draws out the latch when it comes close, very clever! No - there is a separate switch and a separate magnet on the side of the keyboard that operates the switch. The magnet is stronger than that the one that operates the hook you mention. It is in the base, just below the right-arrow key. The switch is in the lid, on the right side, in a position that corresponds to the magnet when the lid is closed. You can easily demonstate this to yourself if you get a magnet and bring it close to the lid at that spot. The screen will go blank almost immediately and the iBook will sleep if the magnet remains there for more than a second or so.