PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Cluster!

Jacques
09-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Apple's Cluster!

It's being sold at a great cost actually. If I've got this right.. each of the 1100 nodes, at this cost, comes to just under five grand each.

Each is loaded with four gigs RAM and a 250 gig drive, then you have all the dope networking cards and fiber.

A recent sum up, with a link or two can be found here (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/09/20030905004400.shtml).

---

..and to think, if we're still around in some years - this kind of processing power and storage space will be small enough to carry!

Jacques

hayne
09-05-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Jacques
It's being sold at a great cost actually. If I've got this right.. each of the 1100 nodes, at this cost, comes to just under five grand each. I think a large part of the quoted $5 million cost is going for infrastructure, including an ultra-high speed network to connect the machines together. So it isn't really appropriate to divide the total cost by the number of machines.

Jacques
09-05-2003, 02:56 PM
..give or take $5,000! :)

--

What makes this nice isn't really the price, it's just that it's real. Back in 1984, I never imagined a cluster of Macintoshes.

UN*X sure, but who knew Macintosh would eventually be built atop UN*X back in the day?

Jacques