PDA

View Full Version : Printer Madness - Can't Add One

mnewman
02-05-2012, 12:32 AM
We found ourselves unable to print to our Canon laser printer (LBP 6000). Since I saw stuff like this in the system.log:

2/5/12 1:02:44.815 PM PrintUITool: There are no drivers posted for Canon LBP6000/LBP6018.
com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.printing.addprinter.nodriver
com.apple.message.domain_scope: com.apple.printing.addprinter.nodriver
com.apple.message.signature: Canon LBP6000/LBP6018
com.apple.message.result: failure

I decided to delete the printer and add it again.

This seemed to work fine. Here's what the log said:

2/5/12 1:20:57.164 PM AddPrinter: Successfully added 'usb:Canon LBP6000/LBP6018' with driver:'CUPS 3.36'
com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.printing.addprinter.haddriver
com.apple.message.result: success
com.apple.message.signature: Canon LBP6000/LBP6018
com.apple.message.signature2: usb
com.apple.message.signature3: CUPS 3.36

But, a few seconds after the printer seemed to have been installed successfully, a modal dialog with this message popped up:

Canon CAPT Printer Driver & Utilities for Macintosh

The most recently added printer will be deleted because the maximum number of printers that can be added has been exceeded.
Delete an existing printer, and then add this printer again.
Queue Name: Canon_LBP6000_LBP6018

{OK}

When I click the OK button, the just-installed printer disappears.

The odd thing is, there are no printers at all. Not a one. So, how do I delete a printer in order to add one?

macsolver
02-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Hi,

When general strangeness strikes, suspect Permissions and /or caches. Download Yasu from here:

http://download.cnet.com/Yasu/3000-18512_4-10671537.html?tag=mncol;1

Use it to repair permission and clear all caches (including font caches) but keep the browser related items unchecked to retain them. Set to restart when finished, run it and go for a coffee/tea/slice of cake. When it has restarted, try adding the printer again and report back here.

Regards,

Nick

mnewman
02-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Ended up having to download the driver installer. None of the usual suspects worked.

Back to printing again.

But, what could have happened?