PDA

View Full Version : Unused stuff going bad.

GavinBKK
01-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Maybe I am just unlucky?

I recently started using an older Airport Express and it died after a few weeks.

Ditto, I reinstalled an older Time Machine and it, too, packed up after just 2 weeks.

Mid-last year, two MPB power supplies failed simultaneously.

Bad luck???

cpragman
01-20-2012, 04:10 AM
Two power supplies failing simultaneously males me wonder of there is something flaky in your home's AC supply. Do you have a surge suppressor? Do you have a UPS?

GavinBKK
01-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Er, no. Not now. A few years ago, I spent a fortune on some American-branded UPS (red printing on a black box) and they packed up after a couple of months. Forget warranties. As we say here: TIT. This is Thailand. Worldwide warranty: "Yes Sah, Worldwide, but not Thailand..."

I am sure my fellow Siam-dwellers will attest to this. More times than you can shake a hairy stick at. When I buy something (anything) here and the rep starts telling me about the warranty, I can't help laughing. Been here too long maybe.

Anyway, BOT, the two MBP power supplies failed simultaneously, but they were not both in use at the time. When one started playing up, I plugged in the other and no better result. My post at the time ended up with me getting a new PS and battery out of China, with all the usual China-quality-bashing that typically ensues.

If you can find a better iPad case than the YooBao, I want to see it.

trevor
01-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Maybe contact APC Thailand (which is Schneider Electric CPCS (Thailand) Co., Ltd. (http://www.apc.com/support/contact/index.cfm)) and see what they say about how to buy an APC UPS there.

Trevor

GavinBKK
01-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Trevor! That was what I had - thanks for the reminder.

They were quite expensive, IIRC and failed quickly. I think I used one as a door stop for a while..

mnewman
01-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Perhaps you recall my hard drive failure thread:

External Hard Drive Failures: Bad Luck, Bad Karma or? (http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=112107)

I think we're just unlucky.

I've asked a few of my neighbors, including the Seagate engineer, about drive failures and no one has had any particular trouble. The Seagate engineer (Thai) said that he's never in his life had a hard drive fail. AFAIK, I'm the only one using UPSs. Maybe that's the trouble.

BTW, I just had another one fail today. This a Seagate drive plugged directly into one of the the MacMini's USB ports.