PDA

View Full Version : LPR printing (in OS 8.6 via SMC router) question

jiclark
07-31-2003, 05:24 PM
Okay, so this question is not specifically about OS X, but I discovered the initial functionality via a hint here (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020930060410464), so thought it appropriate to ask a question related to the issue.

Here's the deal: I've got an old HP LaserJet 4ML hooked to my home network via the serial port on my SMC wireless router (via the info in the hint above). It works great in OS X, but I didn't think it could work in OS 8.6 (which I use on a PowerCenter 150 that serves as my "legacy" machine). Well, I recently noticed in the comments for the hint above,] that I could get it working using the Desktop Printer Utility. I managed to get it working, but now I want to know if the only way to print via this technique is to drag files to the Desktop Printer icon on the desktop (since no printer appears in the chooser still)? And if this is so, then is there no way to print less than the entire document? I haven't been able to find access to options like paper feed and printing of page ranges, but I've never used Desktop Printers in the past so I really don't know where to look.

Thanks a bunch for any light you can shed on this issue...

John-o

yellow
07-31-2003, 05:37 PM
If you set up the printer with Desktop printer Utility to print via TCP/IP, then you can select it and hit cmd-L, this will make it the default printer. If there's a heavy black line around it, it's already your default printer. When you print inside the application, it should appear in the selectbar as the default printer that the computer is trying to print to. So in effect, print as normal and it should work just fine.