PDA

View Full Version : Screen Effects will not activate


rmcellig
07-30-2003, 01:18 PM
I'm running 10.2.6 on my iMac. For some reason, over the past few days, Screen Effects will not activate. I set it to activate after 10 minutes. No dice. I still see my desktop.

Any ideas what I should do? I ran Cocktail as well as resetting the finder by deleting the finder prefs. Even logging in as another user doesn't work either.

djn1
07-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Does it run via a hot-corner or is it just a problem with timed activation?

rmcellig
07-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Timed activation. Sleep corners work fine.

djn1
07-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Did you try:

1) deleting: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ScreenSaver.Engine.plist

2) logging in while holding down the shift key (to determine whether something you have running is pursuading your machine it isn't actual idle)

rmcellig
07-30-2003, 01:40 PM
I started up in Safe mode, removed my preferences folder from my Library folder as well s deleting the com.apple.ScreenSaver.Engine.plist file



One thing I haven't done yet is run fsck -y.

djn1
07-30-2003, 01:52 PM
Given you've already removed your Library folder I shouldn't think this will make any difference but have you tried this in another user account?

Also, do you have the problem with all your screensaver modules?

rmcellig
07-30-2003, 01:58 PM
I tried logging in as another user with the same results. I tried diferent screen saver modules.

Might there be a log file that would tell me what the problem is?

djn1
07-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by rmcellig
Might there be a log file that would tell me what the problem is? I've never noticed any output to either the console or system logs but it might be worth checking them out at the time you expect the sceensaver engine to be running.

rmcellig
07-30-2003, 02:06 PM
I'm really at a loss here as to what is going on.

djn1
07-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by rmcellig
I'm really at a loss here as to what is going on.
Very odd. Activation, via whatever method, runs the same app so it's clearly something to do with your system seemingly not recognising that it's idle - but I don't know what mechanism determines the idle time. If I come across anything I'll let you know.

rmcellig
07-30-2003, 03:48 PM
I decided to boot in Safe mode and run Apple's disk Utility to repair the permissions. Even though I used Cocktail to do this, Disk Utility actually fixed the problem. Lesson learned, always use Apple's utilities before going third party for solutions. Running FSCK-y (found no problems at all) along with the above mentioned worked well for me.

djn1
07-30-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by rmcellig
I decided to boot in Safe mode and run Apple's disk Utility to repair the permissions. Even though I used Cocktail to do this, Disk Utility actually fixed the problem. Lesson learned, always use Apple's utilities before going third party for solutions. Running FSCK-y (found no problems at all) along with the above mentioned worked well for me.
You might want to mail the author of Cocktail (kristofer@dicom.se) and let him know about this.