PDA

View Full Version : Wireless printing

ricede
12-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Can a wireless printer connect over a local network ?
I use a ' wireless internet dongle ' and therefore do not have a router .
I googled it & the only relevant page i could find was for Windows, which wasnt very helpful :confused:, but it seemed to suggest that it was possible.
If it is possible - how would i go about setting up a local network to do this ?
Snow Leopard 10.6.8

benwiggy
12-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Can you provide much more detail about your setup?

What is the model of your dongle?
To what does it connect -- a modem on a fixed phone line, or a mobile phone connection?
What model is your printer?

Generally, yes, wireless printers connect to other wireless devices by a wireless router. This is a local network!

ricede
12-01-2011, 06:03 AM
The dongle is a wireless broadband internet connection made by Tata here in india. It plugs into a usb socket of the mac. It looks much like a memory stick.

The printer is a Canon PIXMA iP5200R.

Having hunted more in google since i originally posted - it looks like one has to have some sort of router, connected to the mac, in order to wirelessly run a printer. Please let me know if im way out on this. Thanks.

gsahli
12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I use a ' wireless internet dongle ' and therefore do not have a router.

That doesn't quite sound right. How do you get your internet wireless? It is most certainly through a router - but maybe you just think of it as a modem?

benwiggy
12-01-2011, 09:12 AM
The dongle is a wireless broadband internet connection made by Tata here in india. It plugs into a usb socket of the mac. It looks much like a memory stick.
But to what does it connect?
Does it "talk" wirelessly to another device in your house -- your modem? Or does it allow your computer to connect to a mobile phone network?

If you have a modem that provides you with broadband through a fixed land line, then you may need a (wireless) router to network all your devices together and to provide the internet connection to any of the devices.

In which case, you shouldn't need a dongle, as your Mac should have Airport.

So it's unclear at this moment how the dongle communicates to anything, and what modem, if any, you have and what its capabilities might be.

ricede
12-01-2011, 09:14 AM
The signal comes from a mast ( like a mobile mast ) The dongle thing is connected to the mac by plugging it into a usb port. Initially one installs the software to the mac from a cd. Then it just works when one connects to the installed app It provides fairly high speed broadband.
Thats it. There is nothing else.

benwiggy
12-01-2011, 09:48 AM
OK, so the dongle gives you broadband through a mobile phone network.

You could purchase a router, whose sole purpose would be to network devices within your home to each other. It would not deal with the internet at all.

If you only have one device, it might be better just to plug it in!

ricede
12-01-2011, 09:55 AM
If you only have one device, it might be better just to plug it in!

Yes benwiggy, i have been rapidly coming to that conclusion !! As always, in this small space, its a question of where to put the printer, maybe i just need to invest in a really long usb lead.
Thanks for the input.

benwiggy
12-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Most of the tech shops round my way sell 2, 4, 8 and 10 meter USB cables. In fact, if you just want a 0.5m cable to connect something that sits next to your computer, it's a real chore!

ricede
12-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Aint it always the way ! My local city is bangalore, which is meant to be the IT hub of India. Trying to find anything non standard is exhausting, and trying to get anyone to make something ( like a 10 mtre cable ) is nigh impossible. Oh well - another hunting trip looks like its on the cards.

Unfortunately there is no apple store online here - its all authorised resellers in the big cities, & believe me - that is NOT the same. I do miss not being able to go into an apple store & getting true service with a smile, from someone that actually knows what they are talking about.

regulus6633
12-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I think he can do this with the equipment he has... assuming his computer is a laptop with airport. The basic idea is to connect via your usb dongle to your satellite network like normal. Then you use your airport card to setup a wireless network using your computer as a wireless router. It should be possible to run both networks at the same time.

So how to do it? I haven't done it but here's a description of what I think is possible. In the main menu bar is your airport icon showing wireless networks. Select the option in that menu to "create network". Once done you have created a wireless network using your airport card in your laptop and maybe you can get your printer to connect to that network. You would then go to the system preference "print and scan" and setup the networked printer like normal.

NOTE: I'm not sure this is possible but it's worth a try. You can do this to connect 2 wireless computers without a router so why not a computer and a printer?

ricede
12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Yes maybe that might work.It is a laptop with airport. Its getting late here now & its been a long day!! I shall certainly give it a go tomorrow when i feel more with it. Thanks.

GavinBKK
12-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Can you not get a pair of RJ crimps and the pieces and make the cable yourself? No special skills required if you can use nutcrackers.

ricede
12-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Hooked up the printer this morning on USB. Thought i might as well just try it out.
Hmmmmm - cant get it to work anyway. Its making a very strange noise.
So it goes into the cupboard & will have to wait till i go to bangalore.
As its 150 kms on the train, it might be a while before it happens.

Thanks all for the input everyone - ive learnt stuff anyway through this, so the time hasnt been wasted.