PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Safari and email scripting

mimsw
07-18-2003, 04:41 PM
I'm new to the forum and new to scripting, and I'm having an aggravating day.

We're putting all our Macs on Jaguar/Safari and most of the macs have been using Netscape just for mail. However, I would like to get rid of it.

I would like to be able to attach a script to an item on the Bookmark Bar to just open the Mail program.

I currently have a script attached that will launch the mail program, but it also launches a new mail to: window. The script I currently have is below.

javascript:location.href='mailto:?SUBJECT='

Any ideas on how to set it up to just open the program. Location of the mail app is:

Main drive-Applications-Mail.app

All help is greatly appreciated.

jbc
07-18-2003, 08:38 PM
This has nothing to do with javascript, but generally I find the easiest way to keep Mail accessible is to place its icon permanently in the Dock. That way it's available with a click in *any* app, not just Safari.

As an alternative, an app like Dragthing will allow you to create a palette of buttons that appears only when Safari is active. You could then place an alias to Mail or an Applescript to open Mail in a button.

If you really need a script to do something special when opening Mail, you could also just place an Applescript in the Script Menu to do what you need. This again will be available in all apps.