PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell the printer configuration?

edalzell
10-17-2011, 01:50 PM
I have a printer (Ricoh 1515) that I could print to, but then we moved offices and the IP address of the printer changed.

I can't seem to figure out how I set it up before (LPD, IPP, DirectJet, etc) nor how to change the IP address.

Any ideas?

benwiggy
10-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Most printers of this sort can print out a configuration page, which will tell you its IP address.

edalzell
10-17-2011, 02:57 PM
I know the printer's address, but how do I change that on my Mac to point to it?

chabig
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
The easiest way is to delete the printer and add it back. Normally OS X will auto detect and auto configure it.

edalzell
10-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry all, I totally was not clear.

I had this printer all set up and working fine in our old office. Then we moved and the printer's IP address changed. I would like to change my printer setup and update the IP address. I know the new IP address of the printer, but how do I change it in Printer & Scan prefpane?

I have tried to add it again, but I don't remember what I had to do in terms of IPP or LPD or JetSocket and the queue name, which is why I just want to change the one I have.

Any ideas?

DeltaMac
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Add a new printer, selecting the network setup. LPD should be fine, so type in the IP address for the printer in the Address line (that would be the IP address for the printer from the configuration page, if that's correct). I think Queue can usually be left blank, unless you know that something needs to be entered there. Your Mac should auto detect the printer driver at that address, or, if it doesn't show up automatically, then manually select your Ricoh model form the Print Using list.
And, when everything appears OK, click the Add button.

If your printer configuration page does NOT have the correct IP address that you need to use your Ricoh printer on your network, then you would need to change it through your printer's network settings on the printer itself, before you try adding your printer through the Printer pref pane.
So, you first need to make sure the IP address is correct on your printer's configuration page.

edalzell
10-17-2011, 04:44 PM
OK, that's what I did. Not sure why it's not working then. Just sits at 'Spooling...59% complete'

Our network in this temp office we are in is atrocious so it's probably doing something funky.

Strange I can't just change the IP address of an existing printer though, eh?

DeltaMac
10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Well, sure, but it's a 2-step process...
The address at the printer itself needs to be changed, then your Mac needs to know that new address.

edalzell
10-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Yes, the printer's IP has been changed and I added like you said. Still no worky. Silly computer/network/whatever.

I will just print at home.

Thanks for your help.

docno
10-17-2011, 09:49 PM
If you go here http://www.ricoh-usa.com/downloads/downloads.aspx and type in 1515 in the search box, the driver comes right up - it looks like that model is one where there is a helper app that helps Mac OSX find the printer - it's probably not bonjour enabled.

benwiggy
10-18-2011, 01:57 AM
Most large office office printers require a queue name to function. Check the ma˝uel for details. It will be something like "print" or "raw" or "queue".

Check that you can "ping" the printer's IP address from your Mac.

In the Terminal, type "ping -c 10 xx.xx.xx.xx" and then wait a bit.