PDA

View Full Version : Mac crashes constantly

jamesdstark
07-08-2003, 05:31 AM
I'm really sick of dealing with this mac. I am running a G4 dual 500mhz with OS 10.2.6. After having problems with it crashing out of the blue (when I'm not even using the computer, and I have all power save features disabled), I did a clean install with the "combined" 10.2.6 update. However that did not solve my problems. It still crashes just as much. I don't have a complicated system either. The only special hardware is a Motu PCI-324 card.
Tonight I made the mistake of downloading some of the software updates, during which the mac crashed. Now it won't even boot, at the grey screen with the gear, it will give the notorious crash screen and say I have to reboot. Of course that does no good the same screen just comes up again and I can't do anything. The message doesn't give me any hint to what is wrong either. I'm really frustrated as I switched to mac to try to avoid configuration problems, however I'm having more than I have had on any other machine in my life, which is saying a lot. Maybe someone knows how to get osx running again without whiping my hard drive, because there is stuff on there I need.

tlarkin
07-08-2003, 10:25 AM
James-

There are several things I am curious about this mac you have. How much 3rd party RAM has been added, and how long ago did you add it? Have you installed any apps or haxies before you started crashing? I am sure you can get it running again with out losing your data. Here are a few basic things you should try to get an idea of what is going on.

1) Remove all 3rd party ram and devices. Does it boot up normal now?

2) Boot into single user mode (cmd + S) at start up. Run the following command:

/sbin/fsck -y

Keep Doing this until fsck no longer finds problems at all. Can you boot into the os now?

3) Try doing a safe boot, hold down the shift key at boot up. Can you get into the OS? If you can open up the terminal and type this:

tail -100 /var/log/system.log | more

This will display your system log, look for any kind of errors, or strange behaviour going on in there. If you can copy/paste it to the forum.

4) Reset the firmware. At boot up hold down the following keys cmd+opt+O+F this will boot you into open firmware. Once in open firmware type this:

reset-nvram (hit enter)
reset-all (hit enter, and it should reboot)

Try some of these things and let us know if any of it helped, or what happened when you tried to do this.

acorbo
07-08-2003, 10:32 AM
I would check the logic board first.

It's not uncommon for some dual Power Macs to have had this type of behavior related to over-heated and failing logic boards.

When I worked at the Miami Apple Store we had a few dual CPUs come in with similar issues. If you can bring it to any Apple Store, the genious at the bar should be able to determine what the problem is for free and give you a quote.

A word of advice:

Don't give up on your system just yet, as it should very quickly give you an excellent ROI, specially now that Apple has given a solid core audio foundation to its operating system, something lacking in the past.

Sometimes hardware components do go bad and you happened to be the statistic this time.

The alternatives don't come even close to the functionality, cost-effectiveness, time-efficiency, and ultimate user-satisfaction an Apple system can give you. Trust me on this. A mac is the closest we have to the creative mind.

jamesdstark
07-08-2003, 04:06 PM
I ran the disk utility from my osx cd and repaired the permissions, and then to my suprise that fixed it and it boots up fine now. Interesting enough, I tried the exact same software upgrade and it crashed again. I did some of the updates individually and it worked ok. I really need to find out what's wrong it has to be something with the hardware. It has 2 256meg sticks of RAM, I bought it used so I don't know if those are 3rd party. I can try replacing those for starters and see if it still crashes. Then maybe take it to a dealer to check the logic board. hopefully it's a free quote.

tlarkin
07-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Hmm maybe you just had a corrupted download of the updates. Try redownloading the 10.2.6 combo update and see if that helps.

porieux
07-08-2003, 06:31 PM
I am 100% sure it is the PCI-324!

I am also have frequent kernel panics when trying to use mine in my dual 867 MDD. A lot of other people have complained of the same thing at unicornation.com

Unfortunately I have not found a fix :(

tlarkin
07-08-2003, 06:36 PM
I ran into similar problems with a motu rig in os 10.1.5. It was a configuration problem however, and motu tech support walked the user through it. I have also seen this happen with a matrox video card. Get tons of panix, but when you pull the card out the system runs flawlessly. Check for any drive/rom updates for the hardware you are using.

jamesdstark
07-08-2003, 07:52 PM
damn friggin motu and thier pci-324 cards. I actually want to get a 424 card because they don't support all the features with the 324. I don't suppose you know if the 424 has similar problems? Maybe because the 324 is so old it was never designed with osx in mind? But was the 424?

porieux
07-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Reports I've heard suggest that the 424 works fine...

I may just suck it up and get a 2408mkIII :eek: