PDA

View Full Version : iTunes library and System corruption

acme
10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I have an iTunes library with music in a User that I suspect might have some corruption. I don't know whether the corruption is limited to some preference files or not.

I would like to have the iTunes that are in that User, but naturally, don't want to bring over any corruption along with them. In that user, iTunes worked just fine...had no issues with it.

My question is: Is it likely/unlikely that the iTunes library and music could even be corrupt? Could the music files themselves be corrupt? What's the view on whether I should use it or not?

thank you,

a

benwiggy
10-06-2011, 10:08 AM
What makes you suspect file corruption? how does it manifest itself?

If you are talking about media files, e.g. audio, video, etc. --- then it would seem unlikely that iTunes would need to write to those files, apart from metadata tags, which should not affect the media itself.

The main candidate for causing file corruption is a faulty hard drive of course.

What OS version? Are both users on the same Mac?

acme
10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
What makes you suspect file corruption? how does it manifest itself?

If you are talking about media files, e.g. audio, video, etc. --- then it would seem unlikely that iTunes would need to write to those files, apart from metadata tags, which should not affect the media itself.

The main candidate for causing file corruption is a faulty hard drive of course.

What OS version? Are both users on the same Mac?

I suspect corruption because while troubleshooting another problem with an apple "senior advisor," the suggestion was what one or more prefs files became corrupt.

Since I have no idea the cause or the extent, I have to wonder/believe that it could be anything.

Both users are on the same Mac.

OS of current user is 10.6.8; user where I had the troubles: 10.7.1

So...hardware CAN cause corruption...is there any way to determine with certainty if this is the case? I run DW and it sez drives are OK.

a

benwiggy
10-06-2011, 10:32 AM
You can delete most user .plists (or just move them to the desktop) to test whether they are causing a problem. Except for some of the larger databasey ones, perhaps.
There are tools for checking that the XML is correctly formed. Onyx includes it, as does "Preferential Treatment". There is an underlying unix utility, plutil.

You still haven't said what problem you are having that makes you suspect corruption.

acme
10-06-2011, 10:35 AM
You can delete most user .plists (or just move them to the desktop) to test whether they are causing a problem. Except for some of the larger databasey ones, perhaps.
There are tools for checking that the XML is correctly formed. Onyx includes it, as does "Preferential Treatment". There is an underlying unix utility, plutil.

You still haven't said what problem you are having that makes you suspect corruption.

Actually, I did say that I do not know what caused the corruption. The problem I was having was with Mission Control/desktops, but during my tech support call, there never was a "cause of corruption" identified.

I have symptoms that I can list off, but no tumor in a jar.

;-)

a