PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop copy operation initiated from Dock

Hamo
08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
I seem to have accidentally dragged one folder to another in the Dock, causing it to be copied into that folder.

The thing is, there was no Copy dialog shown in the Finder. This was a large 6GB folder that was being copied, so it wasn't a matter of it being over before I noticed it.

In fact, I would have liked to have canceled the copy, but it does not seem that was possible!

macosnoob
08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Are you sure you didn't just move the folder? A move would be nearly instantaneous, but a copy would take time and offer a progress/cancel dialog. You can't copy 6 gigs instantly. It's not possible.

Hamo
08-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Are you sure you didn't just move the folder? A move would be nearly instantaneous, but a copy would take time and offer a progress/cancel dialog. You can't copy 6 gigs instantly. It's not possible.

This was definitely a copy operation taking place not a move.

It took several minutes to complete as would be expected.
There was just no way to cancel it!

macosnoob
08-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Do you get the same behavior if you try the operation again?

Have you tried relaunching the Finder and/or restarting? I don't know of a way to suppress the copy dialog, so my first thought is that it's an unrepeatable anomaly.

By the way, what OS are you running?

Sumleilmus
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
If you know the name of either or both of what was dragged & to where it was dragged, Spotlight might help you find out what happened, or at least where the parts are now located.