PDA

View Full Version : How well does Pages do with MS Word files?

Sonoran
07-20-2011, 05:39 PM
I am planning on upgrading to Lion in a week or so and I know that my old copy of MS Office will not run in Lion. I have tried switching to NeoOffice but it doesn't handle complex Word documents well. I still have to open up Word occasionally to do convert a doc to PDF & have it keep the formatting looking good.

My question is "How well does Pages do with more complex word docs?" I really don't want to buy Office after upgrading to Lion.

Any other suggestions?

tw
07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
I am planning on upgrading to Lion in a week or so and I know that my old copy of MS Office will not run in Lion. I have tried switching to NeoOffice but it doesn't handle complex Word documents well. I still have to open up Word occasionally to do convert a doc to PDF & have it keep the formatting looking good.

My question is "How well does Pages do with more complex word docs?" I really don't want to buy Office after upgrading to Lion.

Any other suggestions?

There's no way to answer this question in general. Pages converts most things in Word seamlessly, but Word has features Pages doesn't offer, and those won't translate. My own opinion is that Pages is better at the task than NeoOffice, but…

best if you just download a copy of iWork and try a few test cases to see what happens. it has a thirty day free trial, if I remember correctly.

Sonoran
07-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks tw. That is probably what I should do since I can try it for free.

NaOH
07-20-2011, 07:29 PM
The idea tw gave isn't one I'd wait on. Apple seems to be moving everything over to the Mac App Store, so I'd grab the iWork trial now (http://www.apple.com/iwork/) even if you don't plan to install Lion for a while, just in case they remove its availability.

Sonoran
07-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Very good point; thank you. I am downloading the trial right now.