PDA

View Full Version : Expose with external monitor problem.

GavinBKK
05-13-2011, 01:10 AM
MBA 11", 10.6.7

I have Expose set for top left corner = All Windows and top right corner = Desktop. This works fine until I plug in my Samsung E2020 external monitor.

Top left = All Windows still works, but top right = Desktop does not.

Recently installed s/w: PinPoint and QuickPick.

Any ideas appreciated.

NaOH
05-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Are your two displays mirroring each other (both showing the same windows)? If yes, strange. First thing I would try in that case is testing under a new user account.

If no, then the issue is likely tied to the arrangement settings. To adjust them, you would need to go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement. If you currently have them arranged side by side, then the top left corner of the left-arranged screen would perform the All Windows Exposť function while the top right corner of the right-arranged screen would handle the Show Desktop Exposť function.

GavinBKK
05-13-2011, 01:40 AM
I don't mirror them because the external then goes terribly grainy. Just found that if I mouse through the middle right of the big screen and try upper right on the MBA screen, it works. Hell of a long way to mouse to get that to work though. Don't remember (!) it working like that before, but then I do switch between the MBA11" and the MBP 15" a lot, so maybe the MBP handles this differently.

I appreciate the input.

GavinBKK
05-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Update:

Just worked around it by arranging the MBA screen under the external - didn't know you could do that. No grain issues and just a tad further to the dock - but I use Expose more than the dock anyway.

NaOH
05-13-2011, 01:49 AM
I was about to submit a post suggesting that arrangement. If keyboard shortcuts are of use to you, have a look at System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts. In the Keyboard & Text Input section, there is a shortcut for Move Focus To The Dock which will allow you to navigate Dock contents using the keyboard. I'd state what the shortcut is, but I've changed it from the default.

GavinBKK
05-13-2011, 02:05 AM
Yup, found it. Shift-F3.

However, all that does is (slowly) tabulate all open windows, rather in the way that Expose does.

Remember my other post about the Mail sending shortcut? I think my shortcuts preferences are all screwed up. :-(

NaOH
05-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Yup, found it. Shift-F3.

However, all that does is (slowly) tabulate all open windows, rather in the way that Expose does.

I keep the Dock hidden, so when I invoke the shortcut it brings the Dock out of hiding and I can then navigate its contents with the arrow keys or by typing a letter (like how we can navigate the contents of a Finder window by typing). Pressing Return then opens (or brings to the front) whatever is selected.

Remember my other post about the Mail sending shortcut? I think my shortcuts preferences are all screwed up. :-(

I remember it all too well. I'm still annoyed we couldn't resolve that.

GavinBKK
05-13-2011, 02:21 AM
I think I will revisit that post and move the suggested .plists to the Desktop and see what happens after a restart. I have no other shortcuts set, so hard to see what could go wrong...