PDA

View Full Version : Problem with OpenTerminalHere

ChemMJW
10-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Hello all,

For my Mac with OS X 10.6.4, I have downloaded and installed Marc Liyanage's OpenTerminalHere app.

However, when I click on the icon in a Finder window to open a terminal directly in that directory, it doesn't work properly. No matter what directory I try to open the terminal in from the Finder, I get the following message in the terminal that pops open:

cd '/Volumes/CHEMMJW/' && echo $'\ec'
[antares:~] matthew% cd '/Volumes/CHEMMJW/' && echo $'\ec'
Illegal variable name.

I am not a Mac expert and have no idea what the problem is. Another member of my lab installed this app on his Mac using exactly the same procedure that I did, and it worked perfectly from the very first moment.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

hayne
10-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Have you changed anything in your shell configuration? (the "dot" files)
Are you using 'bash' ? (this is the default shell, but it's possible to change it in Terminal preferences or elsewhere)

tw
10-25-2010, 01:31 PM
However, when I click on the icon in a Finder window to open a terminal directly in that directory, it doesn't work properly. No matter what directory I try to open the terminal in from the Finder, I get the following message in the terminal that pops open:

cd '/Volumes/CHEMMJW/' && echo $'\ec'
[antares:~] matthew% cd '/Volumes/CHEMMJW/' && echo $'\ec'
Illegal variable name.

Can you describe what you're dong more carefully? OTH works by drag and drop or by being run from the Script Menu, so when you say "when I click on the icon in a Finder window to open a terminal directly..." it makes me think you might be doing something odd. Keep in mind that the AppleScript at the core of OTH has some limitations - certain 'special' folders (like the desktop, or the trash, or the contents folder of an app package) may not open in terminal correctly because they don't have proper 'targets' as the Finder defines such things.