PDA

View Full Version : Turn on iMac from Remote Loacation

danborden
10-06-2010, 05:59 AM
I'm going to be traveling and will be access my iMac using LogMeIn using my iPad. I would prefer not to leave the iMac on for the duration of my trip and was wondering if there is a way to turn your computer on from a remote location? Unfortunately, the iPad app for LogMeIn doesn't support wake on network activity, otherwise I would probably just use that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

agentx
10-06-2010, 06:55 AM
No you can't.

Lights out Management is only on Xserve machines.

However if you have VPN on your router and the machine is wired into network you can have the machine sleeping and Wake on Lan using Apple Remote desktop.

danborden
10-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the reply. But isn't Apple Remote Desktop $300 - that's beyond my budget for what I'm trying to do.

fracai
10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
You shouldn't specifically need ARD, nor VPN, just a way to connect to your router to be able to send... THE MAGIC PACKET. Or turn on port forwarding so you can send the command from anywhere.

Tips (http://lifehacker.com/.../access-your-computer-anytime-and-save-energy-with-wake+on+lan)

fat elvis
10-06-2010, 09:35 AM
You could also just setup a schedule in the Energy Saver Preference Pane...and have it turn on for a specific time. That's is not very flexible but it's probably the simplest solution.