PDA

View Full Version : problem opening folder

bemania
08-20-2010, 07:44 AM
hello

i have a problem. when i try to open my 'Downloads' folder it always opens the disk utility.
somehow the OS thinks that the folder 'Downloads' is some kind of file type named 'Paket' (see in screenshot the folder info).

how can i change the filetype of 'Downloads' from Paket to Folder?

http://www.steinerinformatik.ch/kunden/folder.problem.png

hayne
08-20-2010, 09:19 AM
"Paket" in German = "Package" in English.
So googling for something like:
"os x" folder turned into package
should find some discussion.
I think the problem is that somehow (what's the history of this folder?) the "bundle" flag has gotten turned on for this folder.
You could revert this using the command-line program "SetFile" that comes with the Apple Developer Tools, but maybe someone else will pipe up with a suggestion for a 3rd-party utility to do this - that would be easier.

Or maybe doing "Repair Disk Permissions" (in Disk Utility) would fix it - not likely but worth trying.

mclbruce
08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
A workaround to try: Right click on the Downloads folder and select "Show Package Contents." That should get you into the folder for now.

Once you are in, I suggest temporarily moving the contents to some other folder, say on the Desktop.

Once you empty out the Downloads folder, it might be best just to throw it in the trash and restart. The OS should recreate the Downloads folder for you, hopefully without the package designation.

Once the Downloads folder has been recreated, you can empty the trash.