PDA

View Full Version : In Design. Text formatting help

John Stott
05-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi. Have been using In Design for a long time, but can't work out how to eg. when you see film credits coming up at the end, where the the first part is right justified and then the name is left justified, how is it done, I have looked at tabbing etc, can't find an answer.
Can any one help?

Thanks John

DeltaMac
05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Right or left only would not be called 'justified' - that's right or left-aligned.
Justification is usually on both margins.
Is there nothing in Indesign that provides full justification? Insert a few spaces between the two listings, seems like that should work.

acme.mail.order
05-31-2010, 08:36 AM
You want a right and left-align tab, just put them in the 'other' position. Instant center-aligned columns.

benwiggy
05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
If I understand Acme's reply correctly - that implies two columns, in which case you can just align the text in each column without needing tabs. You'd also need to split each line in two.

I've tried mucking about with the . alignment tab to line centred text about a central em-space, but I couldn't get that to work.

You could try placing a <tab> between each half of the line, then convert to a table. Then just align each column of the table differently, with a margin for a gap.

NaOH
05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
In InDesign, pressing Shift-Tab will automatically tab to the far right of the text box, whether or not a tab stop has been set for that position.

styrafome
05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
If I understand Acme's reply correctly - that implies two columns, in which case you can just align the text in each column without needing tabs. You'd also need to split each line in two.

No, that would make it hard to keep related text on the same line. The answer is exactly as acme.mail.order said: Set a single tab stop, set to right-aligned, at the right edge of a left-aligned column. Then press Tab between after the first item on the line.

This is digital typesetting 101 material. The solution is the same for Word, and even TextEdit.

NaOH
05-31-2010, 11:46 AM
No, that would make it hard to keep related text on the same line. The answer is exactly as acme.mail.order said: Set a single tab stop, set to right-aligned, at the right edge of a left-aligned column. Then press Tab between after the first item on the line.

This would certainly work, and seems to fulfill the goal. But as I said, simply pressing Shift-Tab in InDesign will accomplish this. There's no need to set a tab stop, and the flush-right text will remain flush right even if the size of the text frame is adjusted at some point.

styrafome
05-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Don't worry, I wasn't contradicting what you said NaOH. If Shift-Tab will do it right away, that's a cool shortcut I didn't know about, and one of the many reasons to upgrade from Word etc. when trying to make a doc that actually looks good and is easy on production.

NaOH
05-31-2010, 07:09 PM
No offense (or anything of the sort) taken, though I can see how my writing may have suggested otherwise. My apologies.

Funny how you note you were unfamiliar with that shortcut. I was trying to remember where I learned that one, and I don't have any idea.