PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet into an iPad?

GavinBKK
05-16-2010, 03:08 AM
Has anyone tried this?

I imagine it would need the USB-Ethernet adapter and the dock that has a USB socket. Interested to know if this might work.

Gavin

mclbruce
05-16-2010, 04:26 AM
Apple does make a USB Ethernet adapter for the MacBook Air. Apparently it works on other Macs as well. No idea if it will work for iPad.

I don't think a dock that has a USB socket exists for the iPad. The cable that's included with the iPad does have USB on one end.

What would this setup give you that WiFi does not do?

GavinBKK
05-16-2010, 05:03 AM
Well, quick scenario required:

I will be spending about 7 weeks in the UK shortly, staying with my sister. She only has an ethernet cable. I can get away with just taking the iPad, but clearly need a connection.

Airport Express?

Thanks,

Gavin

baf
05-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Yes or any other wireless router.
Unless she has a provider that only allows a certain mac-address.

fracai
05-16-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't think a dock that has a USB socket exists for the iPad. The cable that's included with the iPad does have USB on one end.
It's not a dock, but the iPad Camera Connector is basically a mini-dock with the standard connector on one end for the iPad and a USB port on the other. It's intended to work solely with cameras, but other devices have been found to work as well (keyboards, USB headsets, etc.). It's possible that a USB ethernet connect would work as well.

agentx
05-16-2010, 01:01 PM
I personally think that the USB > Ethernet will be a dead end on iPad.

Solution : Buy your sister a wireless router as a "present" ;-)

styrafome
05-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Unless she has a provider that only allows a certain mac-address.

1. Buy a cheap wireless router or even a used one forgotten in the closet, as long as it has a MAC address cloning feature, which is pretty common
2. Connect, clone MAC address, ISP won't know the difference.
3. Surf web.

mclbruce
05-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Here's a decent wireless router for $40.00, less than half the price of Airport Express.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122016

NaOH
05-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Here's a decent wireless router for $40.00, less than half the price of Airport Express.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122016

Just to note, in case it matters, that router does not support the faster and better-range 802.11n standard which the iPad and all Macs can utilize.

mclbruce
05-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Just to note, in case it matters, that router does not support the faster and better-range 802.11n standard which the iPad and all Macs can utilize.

I'm using a similar Netgear router (with B and G, no N) with my iPad. Speedtest HD tells me I'm getting 11 Mbps downoad speeds, and I use AirVideo Free to stream video from my Mac to my iPad with no problems.

For seven weeks use, I think WiFi with B and G should work just fine. If GavinBKK can convince his sister that she needs WiFi and should buy her own, that's another story! :-)

I don't know how things are in the UK, but here in the USA I've set up quite a few wireless routers. I've never had to use MAC address cloning. Power cycling the DSL modem or Cable modem or whatever is usually enough to have it recognize the router instead of the computer.

styrafome
05-16-2010, 11:25 PM

I thought about that, but realized that for this use case, 802.11n doesn't matter. 802.11n makes the most difference if you are pushing around high volumes of data. I use it when backing up or transferring large files locally. It is very unlikely that this iPad will be exchanging large volumes of data with his sister's computer. The iPad will be purely web surfing, which means the bottleneck is going to be the homeowner's Internet connection which probably falls well within 802.11g or even b.

agentx
05-17-2010, 04:00 AM
Is your sisters connection on Cable ( usually Virgin ) or ADSL. ADSL generally does not use MAC address filtering...but Virgin(NTL) used to use computer provisioning so you may need a router that supports setting its MAC address to match computer that is connected.

If they have a modem then it should be OK but if they get the connection through a set top box(STB) then you may need to add the hardware to their network or spoof MAC address on router to match that of computer.

GavinBKK
05-26-2010, 02:20 AM
I will check with Sis and come back on this. I can't sit around and not work for 7 weeks. The wilds of rural Norfolk would drive me nuts. :-)

DavidSmith
05-26-2010, 02:29 AM
I awalys use USB for connection and it can work well for me. Also you can try Wifi.

GavinBKK
05-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Sis says her ISP is Sky and it comes through the phone line. Any UK-based can shed any light on that?
Tx
Gavin

agentx
05-27-2010, 04:41 AM
So it will be ADSL. Sky normally give you a Wireless Router (Netgear 834G or the like). But yes should be easy to drop in a router onto her connection ;-) as long as she has her ADSL login details.

mclbruce
05-27-2010, 09:46 PM
That would be amusing, if she already has WiFi and doesn't know it! If not, instead of buying here and packing it over, you could order something from Amazon UK and have it shipped there directly, for free.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001FO2VDO/

GavinBKK
05-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Nope, she is definitely cable only. I was there last year, but did not pay much attention to the setup.

I am trying to see if I can get away with my iPad, as opposed to carting a 15.4" MBP around with me.

So, I can use the Airport express if I plug her ethernet cable into it then??

Cheers,

Gavin

agentx
05-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I am pretty sure you can run an Ethernet cable from her existing router into the Airport Express then configure the Airport express for wireless.

One problem is that you have to configure the Airport Express using wireless !

GavinBKK
05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I think so too, but does it need a Mac? If I take just an iPad, then I will be "rooted", as it were....
;-)

GavinBKK
05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry, I really mean, can I do the config from her PC?

agentx
05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
You can configure using a PC as long as PC has wireless ;-)
http://support.apple.com/downloads/AirPort_Utility_Setup_5_3_2_for_Windows

You cannot configure the AE with Ethernet ....another Apple Doh!

NaOH
05-28-2010, 02:52 PM
You can configure using a PC as long as PC has wireless ;-)
http://support.apple.com/downloads/AirPort_Utility_Setup_5_3_2_for_Windows

You cannot configure the AE with Ethernet ....another Apple Doh!

I'm not seeing anything in that linked page which says the Airport Express can't be configured with Ethernet. And the most recent Aiprort Express manual I could find (PDF link (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/AirPort_Express_SetupGuide_5.1.pdf)), nor the product specifications (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html), say anything to this effect.

agentx
05-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I try not to support Apple Networking devices so in my travels i have had to deal with loads of Airport Exp & Extremes etc. I remember tearing my hair out at some point over tan AE (airtunes) setup ie. trying to configure it using ethernet it just would not show up. As soon as it was wireless no problem.

I'm not seeing anything in that linked page which says the Airport Express can't be configured with Ethernet
And maybe nothing saying you can configure it using ethernet port ;-)

NaOH
05-28-2010, 03:09 PM
This information from the Airport Express manual I linked seems to suggest it can be done.

If you plan to share your Internet connection with wireless-enabled computers on your network, you need to set up your AirPort Express to share its Internet connection. After it is set up, computers access the Internet via the AirPort network. The base station connects to the Internet and transmits information to the computers over the AirPort network.
Before you use the AirPort Utility to set up your base station, connect your DSL or cable modem to the AirPort Express Ethernet port (G). If you are using an existing Ethernet network with Internet access to connect to the Internet, you can connect the AirPort Express to the Ethernet network instead.

Use the setup assistant in AirPort Utility to enter your ISP settings and configure how AirPort Express shares the settings with other computers.

1. Choose the wireless network you want to change.

On a Macintosh, use the AirPort status menu in the menu bar. On a computer using Windows XP, hold the pointer over the wireless connection icon until you see your AirPort network name (SSID), and choose it from the list if there are multiple networks available.

The default network name for an Apple base station is AirPortNetworkXXXXXX, where XXXXXX is replaced with the last six digits of the AirPort ID, also know as the Media Access Control or MAC address. The AirPort ID is printed on the electrical-plug side of the AirPort Express.

2. Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a Macintosh, or in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows XP.

3. Select your base station and click Continue.

4. Follow the onscreen instructions to configure and share Internet access on your AirPort Express.

I'm not certain what the reality is of setting up an Express with Windows, but the information certainly seems to indicate it can be done. Maybe the best move would be to contact Apple support.

mclbruce
05-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I have used Apple's Airport Utility on a Windows machine to modify settings on a AEBS. It worked just fine. I'm sure it will work on an Airport Express as well.

Does the PC have WiFi? If not, you will have some trouble with Airport Express. The Airport Express has exactly one Ethernet connection on it. That must go to the DSL modem. That leaves zero Ethernet connections for the PC to connect to.

jacksmirk
08-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I configured the AE from a Mac using the ethernet connection, in fact I use the AE in wireless bridge mode, connecting the AE to the Mac with the ethernet and the AE to my router via wifi. Apple only gives publicity to what they want you to do with their gadgets, but there's always more.

mesquito
08-12-2010, 03:23 PM
This thread has turned into a discussion about wifi and how to connect a home DSL connection.
My interest in ethernet to iPad is to to flash firmware onto routers using TFTP.
I have a small wireless company and deploy custom wireless routers and bridges out in the field. I frequently need to flash those devices onsite. I can do all my wireless monitoring with the iPad, but without an ethernet connection I cannot access the firmware.

I realize mine is a very specific need, but it brings us back to the original question: is there any way to connect an ethernet cable to the iPad (perhaps via the Apple USB adapter).

Jcdeleon
09-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Thought I had this licked. Bought Dlink pocket router. Set it up at work on laptop and worked great even on iPad Brought it home to confirm and no dice. I leave wed am and don't want to take laptop. Can someone help me with the settings either for access point or router? I know it should be easy but I'm struggling. Thanks.

agentx
09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Do you think the ip address ranges are the same at home as they are on pocket router. A roaming router (I use them) are best on some silly setting that has a minimal chance of a clash. Ie 10.45.34.0/24 it could be anything but a 10.0.1.0/24,192.68.1.0/25 etc

docno
10-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Another reason to stick with Airport - Apple is releasing an Airport config utility for iOS 5! Being able to configure and change it from the iPad without a network is awesome.

Refurbished Express is $70: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB321LL/A?mco=MTA4MjcyODY

and it supports N as well as AirTunes and printer sharing - pretty spiffy. And it will bridge ethernet to wifi. I have an extra Airport Express (1st generation) that I travel with for the rare hotel (usually high end, ironically) that offer wired internet only. Once that iOS Airport Utility app is out, I truly will be able to travel iPad only and do everything I need...

GavinBKK
10-11-2011, 12:42 AM
And not a moment too soon!

acme.mail.order
10-11-2011, 06:48 AM
And not a moment too soon!

Indeed. What did happen back in the summer of 2010 (over a year ago) in the wilds of Norfolk?

chabig
10-11-2011, 07:12 PM
You should be able to configure an Airport Express wirelessly from the iPad beginning with iOS 5. We'll find out tomorrow for sure.

GavinBKK
10-12-2011, 05:23 AM
@Acme.mail.order:

Ha! I should have said before. I arrived and noticed her hooked up by the ethernet cable into her pc. I then noticed the cable going around the settee into a....wireless router! Examining said router, I also found an alphanumeric code under clear tape on the underside. The rest is history. :-)

The installing engineer needs a slap for not explaining that to her, IMO.

docno
10-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Indeed. What did happen back in the summer of 2010 (over a year ago) in the wilds of Norfolk?

Hardy har har har - you guys are a laugh riot - I guess you have never heard of a little thing called Google or the concept that any content can be found in the future at any time.

It doesn't seem to be live yet, but MacWorld is trumpeting it's availability - probably just a matter of hours now:

http://www.macworld.com/article/162968/2011/10/apple_releases_airport_utility_for_ios.html

acme.mail.order
10-12-2011, 09:37 AM
... or the concept that any content can be found in the future at any time.

And that's precisely why we usually don't add to older information as it can become irrelevant in the future. And there's certainly no need to announce a "solution" that wasn't even in early development when the original question was asked (and isn't even available at the time of writing).

Gavin's Sister had wireless, Norfolk is a memory (Gavin's probably even paid off the credit card by now), and we're done. Time for a new thread.

Arrernecapved
11-06-2011, 05:09 AM
I used to use Pages, but as Pages for Mac is rather useless for my purposes Ive moved to Nebulous. That enables me to type on the iPad if thats what Ive got with me, then do formatting and cleverer stuff on the Mac if required.