PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a copy of Parallels they aren't using?

edalzell
05-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I would like to buy Parallels so I was hoping to find someone with a license they aren't using that would be interested in selling it to me.

I am NOT looking to borrow the software, I'd just like to buy a license that isn't being used. We will need to notify Parallels about the license transfer to make it all legit.

If this is inappropriate, I apologize and please remove it.

Thanks

NaOH
05-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I do, but my original Parallels disc is for version 2. I also have a disc I burned of version 3 which Parallels provided me free of charge when that upgrade was released. I understand if you're looking for a more recent version since later releases have been positively reviewed, but you're welcome to PM me if you'd like.

tlarkin
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
pound for pound comparing Parallels to VMware Fusion, I think Fusion is the better investment. They do the exact same thing, but VMware tends to not charge you for every upgrade, thus making the overall cost of the license cheaper.

Just my 2 cents. Also, virtualbox is free and I have it running on my Macbook Pro, and my Linux box and my Windows box.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Check out virtual box as it is 100% free, open source, and supported by the Sun community. If it is not what you want then try one of the paid applications. To be fair, it is not quite comparable as Fusion and Parallels do have a few more features over virtualbox, but the overall cost of ownership of virtualbox is way lower.

edalzell
05-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks tlarkin, I am currently using VirtualBox and it is just a tad too slow and buggy for me to be super productive with it.

I had read the review of Parallels and Fusion and it seems they are about split as to which is better. And they seem to leapfrog each other so what is best right now will change with the other updates.

I will check out Fusion as well though, so thanks for your recommendation.

agentx
05-14-2010, 01:15 PM
I must admit i have less problems with Fusion as well and concur it is cheeper in long term. I use it for W7, Vista, XP, OSX Server 10.5/10.6, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora.

edalzell
05-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Holy carp, Fusion just lost a bunch of points when I had to create an account and click about a thousand times to get to the download. Parallels was two clicks!

gsparks
05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
I think I still have a sealed, boxed copy of Parallels 3.0 in my cabinet. If you're still interested, let me know.

--GS