PDA

View Full Version : Connect a Linux server to OSX client

johngc
02-13-2010, 02:04 AM
I am brand new to Macs (2 weeks and counting) but have previously been using Ubuntu on my home computers and have a home server running Ubuntu 9.04 server edition. Because of the transition from Windows to Ubuntu, the server was sent up to allow shares using Samba. Once I progressed to just Ubuntu, I left it as it was as it worked just fine.

Now I have a MacBook Pro (OSX 10.6.2) and I would like to automount the /home directory from the server. I have done a bit of reading and seen various 'solutions' to do just this but I am having problems with all.

1) Drag my SMB mount into my user LoginItems - this will only allow me to drag one of the sub folders in and not the root mount folder (eg /backup instead of /). This causes a problem as there are at the moment five seperate folders and I don't want each one mounted seperatley, plus each opens in a new finder window when I log in.

2) Create an auto_smb file with the mount info in it and reference it from the auto_master file. This created the directory on my MBP but then would not let me open it saying that there was a problem with the alias. I was then not able to select the directory on my server to fix it.

3) Use NFS. I am aware that SL seems to allow automounting of NFS shares and have tried to set it up but it still does not work. I install the necessary on the Ubuntu box Disk Utility on my MBP finds it and says that it is valid but then I have aproblem with the alias again and can't open the folder I have pointed it to.

I knw that the server is there and available as I can connect through finder as it 'sees' my server and I can 'connect as' and there it is. I just want to be able to automount it.

I am open to suggestions about the best way to do this is going to be, so can any one help out a Mac newbie?

Mailman42
02-13-2010, 07:12 AM
I have not attempted to automatically mount them, but I have successfully mounted my debian & ubuntu computers from my MacBook Pro.

For me this was done from the;

Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server

option.

Can you do that? Does it work? Does it fail?

ehf
02-13-2010, 10:55 PM
I've used sshfs for a while to mount my linux (fedora) filesytems on my macbook pro. I've had no problems.

I installed sshfs via macports and then mount using the following:

/opt/local/bin/sshfs ehf@linuxhost:/home/ehf /Volumes/linux

SirDice
02-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Don't automount /home (using samba or NFS). Because it's a notebook you will more then likely start using it when you're not connected to your network. When that happens you won't have /home and thus no files.