PDA

View Full Version : Mouse movement 'feels' wrong while using Iogear KVM Switch - solutions? USB Overdrive

squint0r
02-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I just got an Iogear KVM Switch so that I could control two computers (one Mac, one PC) at the same time. After hooking up the computers to the switch, I immediately noticed that mouse movement felt a lot 'slower' and 'stickier'. Adjusting the mouse speed in the Preferences helped only mildly, so I ended up using USB Overdrive to tweak the mouse speed and acceleration.

Well, it feels better, just not the way I can get it feeling by using Microsoft's Intellipoint driver when the mouse is plugged directly into the computer. This driver doesn't seem to affect Iogear's mouse movement algorithms.

Man, if there's one thing I miss about Windows (and really, this is one of the very few things), it's the mouse movement. Just has always felt better to me. Not as laggy. More precise. I don't struggle to get the pointer to where I want it to be, I can use the mouse for hours on end with no fatigue. Does anybody else relate? Other than that, Mac OS X all the way for me.

Should I be contacting Iogear about this? I figure if USB Overdrive can affect the mouse, then there might be some app out there that can fix this.

Let me know!

cwtnospam
02-06-2010, 07:58 PM
It seems to me that the mouse speed has more to do with the mouse than the driver for it, since every mouse (that didn't come from Apple) I've used on a Mac has been faster than an Apple mouse and I've never installed drivers. I wouldn't say they were more precise though. Actually, it has taken me a while to get used to third party mice flying all over the screen!

I suppose it's possible that it is the driver though, and for some reason using the KVM switch causes your mouse driver to change. I'd contact Iogear.