PDA

View Full Version : Target mode question

proussak
01-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Just to see if my backup program is working OK, I'm trying to boot my G5 iMac from an external hard drive in target mode. I get the blue screen with the yellow firewire icon but that's it. I've done it before and I always remembered it getting quickly to a screen that offered a choice of the internal and external drives. The machine recognizes the hard drive when booted normally, and I've just done a backup to it, so it doesn't seem to be malfunctioning.

So what am I missing - how do I get beyond the blue screen/FW icon stage? Thanks.

trevor
01-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Please explain the 'external hard drive in target mode'. Do you mean another computer which is acting as a hard drive because it's in target mode?

Or are you putting the G5 iMac in target mode and thinking that an external (USB or FireWire) hard drive will boot it in that mode?

I've done it before and I always remembered it getting quickly to a screen that offered a choice of the internal and external drives.

It's very unclear what you're doing, but if I extrapolate, I *think* that you're confused about target mode and the firmware drive selector. To get to the screen where it offers a choice of internal and external hard drives, hold down the Option/Alt key while the computer boots. No target mode involved.

Trevor

proussak
01-15-2010, 01:27 PM
You're right, I'd got the word Target in my head when all I was looking for was booting from the external. As Emily Litella would say, "Never mind"!