PDA

View Full Version : Help with HD filling at amazing clip

rumirocks
11-23-2009, 05:02 AM
My hard drive filled up 13 BGs in about two and a half hours.

I searched the forums and found this Alternatively, open a Terminal window (Terminal is under /Applications/Utilities) and enter the following command:
sudo du -x -h -d 1 / . . . Look to see which sub-folder is taking up the most space

I did it, and the folder was /private at 13 GBs.

I went to Go to Folder and entered /private and found gigabytes of swapfiles in the vm folder, all added in the last 2.5 hours. They were swapfiles, so I dumped them, including a file that started with sleepXXXX.

Restarted and emptied Trash.

The only significant thing I've done in the last 24 hours was reinstall the printer drivers from my Snow Leopard disk because my brother-in-law said it would cure a printer ill. Seems it also reinstalled Snow Leopard so I upgraded to X.6.2 via a Combo Update, and I installed a trial version if iWork. It has been unbelievably sluggish all day long.

This is a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB at 667 MHz.

How do I find out what is doing this? Thank you in advance for your help. This is the best place on the web.

======================
EDIT:
OK, downloaded OmniDiskSweeper and found an RSS feed (internet archive) that added 9 GB to the drive. Removed it. Going to bed now. Will see how bad this situation is when I wake up.

benwiggy
11-23-2009, 06:46 AM
You shouldn't need to delete the vm and sleep files. I would advise not doing that again.

The only significant thing I've done in the last 24 hours was reinstall the printer drivers from my Snow Leopard disk because my brother-in-law said it would cure a printer ill. Seems it also reinstalled Snow Leopard so I upgraded to X.6.2 via a Combo Update, and I installed a trial version if iWork. It has been unbelievably sluggish all day long.
If you used the OS installer, then you would have reinstalled SL's base system as a minimum, along with the printer drivers. You should be able to find the standalone printer driver package on the OS installer disk.
But I don't understand your brother's advice. What was the printer problem? Why would you need to reinstall drivers from the DVD? Had you deleted them? Apple has released updates to many printer drivers for SL. Perhaps that is what you should try.

OK, downloaded OmniDiskSweeper and found an RSS feed (internet archive) that added 9 GB to the drive. Removed it. Going to bed now. Will see how bad this situation is when I wake up.
That would seem to be your problem. Printer drivers, iWork, vm files were all just red herrings, most likely.

rumirocks
11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I didn't remove the vm folder. I did what what was recommended in these threads:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=98179&highlight=hard+drive+filling
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=93363

Notice Hayne's remarks.

Is there anyway I can find out why swapfile05, swapfile06, swapfile07, swapfile08 are 1.5 GBs each and what's causing it?

Hal Itosis
11-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Is there anyway I can find out why swapfile05, swapfile06, swapfile07, swapfile08 are 1.5 GBs each and what's causing it?

The swapfiles get progressively larger because that's the way the OS (BSD memory manager or something?) wants it. I.e., it's by design.

Download and run MemoryStick (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/13636). It will make an obnoxious sound whenever a new swapfile gets created (as well as display a graphical representation la Activity Monitor). Then you can probably figure out what's causing the issue (based on what program you're running and/or action you're doing when the noise occurs).

Hal Itosis
11-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I didn't remove the vm folder. I did what what was recommended in these threads:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=98179&highlight=hard+drive+filling
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=93363

Notice Hayne's remarks.
Which remark by hayne? :confused:
I see not a single statement by him (in those threads) telling anyone to delete anything.

styrafome
11-23-2009, 11:38 PM
The three things in my experience that explode the swapfiles are:
1. Spotlight re-indexing a large drive
2. Doing a massive file transfer between machines, over File Sharing
3. Editing a large or highly layered image file in Photoshop or an app like it
Of course, this list is not all inclusive. It's just what I've seen.

Yeah, MemoryStick's pretty good at monitoring this sort of thing. The way I figure it out is when the swap files start going crazy, I glance at iStat Menus or open Activity Monitor and see which processes happen to be sucking up RAM, and if that's not obvious, I'll look at which processes happen to be busy at the moment.

For example I might see that Kernel Task is busy, but that's not specific enough. But I do see a progress bar in the Finder for a copy, and iStatMenus shows me that my network connection capacity is maxed out. Then I guess that it's because I'm copying a ship ton of big image files between Macs. When I suspected Spotllight, it was because one or more of the MD processes could be observed going crazy.

So do some detective work with the tools at hand.

Las_Vegas
11-24-2009, 12:52 AM
While you're at it, go to http://www.apple.com/support and do a search for your Printer brand and '10.6' for the newest update to your printer driver.

Don't worry about the huge swap files until your Mac is finished rebuilding the Spotlight index. They will be deleted when no longer needed.

rumirocks
11-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Thank you to Hal Itosis, styrafome, La_Vegas, and benwiggy for your help. (Yes, Hal Itosis, it was DeltaMac, not Hayne who recommended that I could get rid of swapfiles)

I want to say a special thanks to you guys for responding. You do this for free; your time is valuable, and you are the best Mac brains on the web. Generous, too. Please believe me when I say that I do research the forums before I ask questions of you, as a result. (I just dont spend two hours doing it, probably closer to an hour.)

I'm going to download MemoryStick and iStat Menus. Yeah, and I already got my printer update.