PDA

View Full Version : Migration to a new Mac, is the "slowness" transfered?

Youknowthebo
11-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi.

I just used the migration tool to transfer my data and programms fom my Macbook Pro (Tiger) to my Mac Pro (Snow Leopard). Everything is working fine besides two programms which can't display their menu text (I posted another thread for that).

And now I am wondering: My Macbook Pro became quite slow after two years and usually I just format it and reinstall everything, so my question is, if by migrating all the programms and data from my Macbook Pro to my new Mac pro do you think that that "slowness" (sorry I do not have any other word for that) is transfered too?

Thanks for the replies.

cwtnospam
11-12-2009, 09:06 AM
You shouldn't need to reinstall. That's useful on Windows systems because the registry becomes bloated, but there is no registry on a Mac. It is possible to transfer the problem from one Mac to another, but we'd need more information about your case to tell. You should post more details about what is happening.

Youknowthebo
11-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Thank you. Well it's not a particular problem, but my Macbook Pro (last fresh install of Tiger and all the software about 2 1/2 years ago) runs slower than in the first month of the fresh install, for instance programms start slower or just the boot process seems to take longer. And in my experience everything seems to be faster after a fresh install of the system.

So it's not quite a problem in particular. Since you mean reinstalling isn't needed, and "bloating" isn't possible, that "slowness" isn't transfered?

cwtnospam
11-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Bloating is possible, just not the kind that requires a reinstall. You could be loading all sorts of things at startup that could slow things down. Start by looking in System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items for things you might have installed but don't need.

Youknowthebo
11-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Allready checked that. Oh well I got a new Mac :-) Just going to see how that one is working. Thanks for the help!

@ cwtnospam: Can I ask you another thing. Maybe you saw the other thread of me. I just found out that the font Arial is defect in my SL and it seems to cause the problem that some programms wont display their text. Any idea how to repair this? I already tried an arial from another computer which is supposed to be fine according to font book. Any ideas

Youknowthebo
11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
@ cwtnospam: I figured out my problem. Duplicates within the fonts library caused some problems displaying text in some programs.

But now I found another problem after migration. Ical has a problem with one of my calenders. It imported all my calenders but one. I tried to export just this one calender from my Macbook Pro, but SL ical refuses to import it because it is supposed to be defect. Any ideas?