PDA

View Full Version : Can't move itunes music library from pc to mac

dpriest
10-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I am new to the mac world and have read lots of sites on this topic. I am using snow leopard on the mac. I copied all my music from my pc to the mac and put all the music in the music folder that is under my username. I then edited the library.xml file with a text editor and did a search and replace of all the strings to reflect the new location of the music on the mac. When I imported the edited xml file into itunes on the mac, all my playlists, songs, ratings were there, but also an error message that said the songs could not play because the location is unknown. At the bottom of itunes, it shows all the songs, but for size, it says 0kb. So the playlists and songs are in itunes and all the music is in the music folder, but one can't find the other. I am lost here. Please help.

Thanks for your help in advance.

trevor
10-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow! You did a lot of hard work, when the easy way would have worked better.

Just drag the music from your PC onto the iTunes window. Job done.

Trevor

dpriest
10-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't understand what you mean. What about preserving my playlist, album artwork etc?

trevor
10-22-2009, 02:54 PM
When I've done this, album artwork is preserved perfectly. I haven't tested playlists, though.

Trevor

Las_Vegas
10-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Once the music is imported, import the unmodified xml file. It should restore the playlists.

dpriest
10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Are you saying to open itunes with no playlists or anything in it and add all my music to the library? If I do this, then the music will be in itunes, but what about my ratings, playlists, album artwork?

EatsWithFingers
10-22-2009, 05:09 PM
If what you did originally (detailed in your opening post) correctly transferred playlists, ratings, etc. then it sounds like you just made an error in the pathname replacement step.

Can you verify that the updated locations in the XML file are correct?