PDA

View Full Version : Addresses in Mail

vanhengel
03-28-2003, 01:25 PM
In Apple's Mail program, some of the "From" addresses are only email address in brackets (<>), while some are plain email addresses, and some are full names. How does Mail interpret the Address Book information that I've entered, how can I replace the plain email addresses with full names, and what do the brackets mean?
Thanks,
Erik

yellow
03-28-2003, 01:31 PM
I believe that those adddresses in <> brackets are those found in your address book (the applciation). Those with names found in () parenthesis are from your address history (i.e., people who have emailed you and they have their entire name in their email client when they sent to you), and those that are just addresses are to addresses you've sent email to but you've never gotten an email from OR you've gotten an email and they don't have their name field filled in. Open your address history (in Mail, go to the pull down menu "Window" and select Address History), in there you can add commonly used email addresses to your address book (with the button) and once you fill in the names in the name field, they should appear as addresses with the name and the email in <> brackets. Hope this helps!

vanhengel
03-28-2003, 01:42 PM
hmmmm ok... that doesn't quite add up with what I was thinking, but ok- i tried adding the emails of the people who I didn't have in my address book, quit both, re-launched both, and it didn't make any difference. Thanks though.
Erik

zed
03-28-2003, 01:44 PM
The From address is not taken from you address book!!

it's in the mail headers..

Check the option to show all headers and you'll see loads of information including the FROM address... this is what Mail is showing u...

It's set by the person sending the mail..

Cheers,

--Zed :cool:

yellow
03-28-2003, 01:45 PM
Let me rephrase slightly.. if they are in your address book, then the email address will appear in <> brackets, if there's no name with it, it's because there's no name entered in the name fields in your addressbook.

yellow
03-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Oooops, my reply was for addresses in the "To:" field :)

vanhengel
03-28-2003, 02:02 PM
I see- so, there is no way to extract the "From" data from the address book? Thank you very much for your help!
Erik