PDA

View Full Version : Extract OD Password

morphenine
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Is there any way to extract a password from OD? I know that apple goes through a lot to make sure that the password is super secure within Open Directory, but as an administrator with full access and rights, does anyone know of a way to extract one?

I know I can just reset the password, but I'm pretty sure the password an old employee used is the same password that they put on another piece of equipment, which I am having trouble getting into.

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I just nuts to want to try?

thx

tlarkin
09-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Can you crack AES encryption? Good luck unmasking that password. I would use conventional methods of resetting the passwords on machines you are having trouble with.

jeffpeck
09-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Generally passwords are only stored as their hashes (i.e. it is a one-way encryption - nearly impossible to take the hash and go backwards)

One thing you could do though... if they used a common password you can try to take the hash and google it. For example if you search google for the string "e19d5cd5af0378da05f63f891c7467af" you will find that it is equivalent to an MD5 hash on "abcd1234". There are many other websites out there who list dictionaries of common hashes and their equivalents. It's worth a shot.