PDA

View Full Version : how to delete Airport network password from computer??

Doug Lassiter
06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm giving away an old G3 with 10.3.9 on it to a friend. I've removed all the obvious passwords with Keychain Access, but the password for my home network Airport keeps coming back. That is, I turn off the airport card on the laptop, delete that network password in Keychain Access, and then turn my airport card back on. It promptly logs in to my network, and the Airport network password entry in the keychain gets restored! It's getting that password from somewhere else. What gives?? I'd rather not automatically give my friend access to my network. How do I delete that password entirely from the system?

DeltaMac
06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Keep in mind that your wireless network is only available within the range (150 ft max) of your network. You friend cannot connect to your WIFI if the computer (and the airport card) is located somewhere outside of that range.
So, the only way to connect is if your friend brings your old computer close enough to throw a rock through your window.
Even if you left that wireless password on your old iMac, it's not active unless the computer is brought within range of your network.

I know, doesn't really answer your question, and someone else will help you clear out that password, if you still want to do that.

EatsWithFingers
06-16-2009, 04:25 AM
That is, I turn off the airport card on the laptop, delete that network password in Keychain Access, and then turn my airport card back on. It promptly logs in to my network, and the Airport network password entry in the keychain gets restored! It's getting that password from somewhere else. What gives??
Have you tried logging out or rebooting after removing the password from Keychain Access? Maybe the OS is caching the password since it was available when you last logged in...?

Or see if "Airport Utility" lets you remove the password somehow.

Of course, you could just do an "Erase and Install." (which your security-conscious/paranoid/untrusting/sensible friend will do anyway)

Doug Lassiter
06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
OK, fine, but bear with me. My friend lives three blocks away, and I wouldn't care if he wanted to use my network anyway. But if I can't erase this password, what other passwords haven't gotten erased?

I tied logging out and back in. No change.

I tried killing off /Library/Caches. No change.

It's hiding somewhere. Where?

macosnoob
06-16-2009, 06:22 PM
A PRAM reset couldn't hurt. Maybe there are some network settings lingering in PRAM from the OS 9 days of that G3?

NaOH
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't remember how it's setup in 10.3, but you may also want to remove your network from the list of remembered networks in System Preferences->Network.

And while not ideal for addressing the larger issue, you can also change your network password once you give the computer away.

styrafome
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
If it's 10.3.9, I seem to remember that back then the Airport password was not stored in the user keychain but in a system keychain of some sort. The reason I know this is because if you happened to forget your Airport password back then (or needed to tell a visiting friend what it was), you could not recover it from the keychain because it was stored in a keychain that your user account password could never open! I always had to go back to where I wrote it down in a separate place.

If I was giving a Mac away, though, it wouldn't still have these passwords in the first place. I would have done an Erase and Install and left my friend with a virgin OS, ensuring that absolutely no personal data of mine is left on that thing.

Doug Lassiter
06-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Yes, I should just do a reinstall. But it sure is peculiar. I mean, what's the point of a password if you lose control of it?

10.5 let's me do delete it, via SysPrefs->Network->Advanced , but 10.3.9 doesn't seem to offer that option.