PDA

View Full Version : No server available at the address you entered! for server.xxxxxx.com

boonchunt
06-03-2009, 05:38 AM
Hi All,

I've just gotten my trial version of Mac OS X Server 10.5 and I've problem connecting to server.xxxx.com and the message No server available at the address you entered! pop up. I encounter no problem connecting to xxxx.local using Server Admin. But this will only allow internal network connection.

I'm using this Server for Web hosting! I'm totally new. Please help.

Spongy
06-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Boonchunt, please explain a little better what exactly you are trying to do - it is difficult to help you otherwise.

I guess that 'xxxx.com' is your domain and you want your server, 'server', to run services that are accessible by connecting to 'server.xxxx.com'? Is this correct? If so, what services have you set up already? Is it just web hosting you want?

The most basic way to set this type of thing up is to set up some sort of internal DNS so your internal network clients can browse to 'server.xxxx.com' (otherwise they will only be able to connect via xxxx.local or the Server's internal IP address ie. 192.168.xxx.xxx) and then set up external DNS (with a service such as DYNDNS or one that is free or provided by your Domain Registrar) to map to your public IP (go to whatismyip.com to find this out). Make the appropriate port forwarding and firewall rules in your router (and the Server's firewall) to allow the traffic through. After setting up the web service correctly in Server Admin you should be able to browse to server.xxxx.com (as well as any other url you specify such as www.xxxx.com or web.xxxx.com etc.)

I would strongly recommend that you read the manuals that Apple provide (at www.apple.com/server under resources). They aren't too difficult to go through and there is 1 specifically for setting up the web service.

If you need further help, please ask, but try to be as clear as possible.

HTH

tlarkin
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Sounds like a DNS issues to me, are you running DNS on your server, or is another server running DNS?