PDA

View Full Version : Developer X-Code Package: installing on non-boot disk

hasenmaus
05-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I have a dual partitioned hard disc and want to install the Apple Developer X-Code package. Unfortunately my OS X partition is just about maxed out and I cannot install the package.

I have moved all my apps to the second partition, but that freed up less than 1 GB. My system folder is the offending culprit. What can I get rid of in the system folder or can I use something like Pacifist to install the X-code on my second partition.:confused:

40GB HD
7GB OS 10.4.11, 32 GB data and applications.

Thanks

fracai
05-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Well, my Developer folder is ~2GB and my Library and System folders take up around 10GB on their own. Some of that is App Support, cache, etc., but if you've got a 7GB partition for the system, you'll be pretty tight for the Dev Tools. How much space does your system take up now?

Your best bet would be to reformat without the partition. Is it necessary for some reason?

Or look at getting rid of printer drives that you don't need. My /Library/Printers is around 3GB and I sure don't use all of those. You don't really want to delete anything from /System.

hasenmaus
05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
System: 1.4GB
I have an old Mac (Beige G3) and I don't know if all of the apps on the other partition will run under Classic.