PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight "Hit and miss " search

aktar
05-28-2009, 05:20 AM
Hi All

on macbook black 2.2 on 10.5.7 , spotlight just does not find anything on the local HD , tried few things i.e :

Dragged the HD in the "Privacy" and removed it back our again so it rebuilds ..no joy
ran fsck ..no joy
ran Disk Util - no joy

from the web i see all kind of terminal commands been suggested ..but cant see anyone saying its been fixed??

any tips please and advise
thank you

hayne
05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
You say "hit & miss" in your subject line - which suggests it sometimes works. But then you say that it doesn't find anything - which seems to indicate a complete lack of working. Which is it?

Resetting the Spotlight database via the Terminal commands should work. Of course you will need to wait for Spotlight to finish indexing the drive before you can do searches - this can take a few hours if you have a lot of files.

DE9
05-28-2009, 11:24 AM
I believe the command for reindexing spotlight through terminal is

sudo mdutil -E /

I had to do that once on a work machine here. Worked like a charm.

aktar
05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
sorry for the confusion , it does not work at all now ..

aktar
05-28-2009, 12:40 PM
can i carry on using the mac while indexing ?

hayne
05-28-2009, 12:43 PM
can i carry on using the mac while indexing ?
Yes - no problem.

aktar
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
trying sudo mdutil -E /

indexing now and on my mac and will test on the users mac in few days and will update you guys whether it works..thank you

trevor
05-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Some people (myself included) are not big fans of Spotlight*. I recommend EasyFind (http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/index.html), which is free.

Trevor

* I'm not a big fan of Spotlight until I am forced to wrestle with Windows' search "abilities", which I find sad and lacking. Spotlight is still head and shoulders better, in my opinion, than that search thing that Microsoft foists on 85% of the world.

aktar
05-28-2009, 01:56 PM
downloaded Easy file , seems to be very slow ??
anytips on speeding up and optimizing ?

or is it 2.0 mackbook black ?

aktar
05-28-2009, 02:08 PM
ok got itm searching in the user area is faster then the whole Macintosh HD :)

this is great :)

trevor
05-28-2009, 02:09 PM
No, it's not your MacBook's fault. EasyFind uses a different paradigm for searching--it does not index like Spotlight does. So, although you'll really find things, unlike Spotlight which doesn't index a whole bunch of system files, it will take longer to find the thing you're looking for than in Spotlight.

If you search enough to need that extra Spotlight speed, then use Spotlight for most things and only use EasyFind when Spotlight draws a blank.

Trevor

Cheech'i
05-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Trevor, it's so funny that your post reflects my thoughts almost exactly.

I know what and where my files are. Handy that.

aktar
06-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Trevor

this fast find is great app , my user that spotlight is not working loving it ..thanks a lot