PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.4 dreadfully slow

stlauc
05-27-2009, 02:32 PM
I've got a G5 with 1.5 G RAM. Should whiz along, right?
Nope. Feels like I'm running a scientific calculator.
I'm a pretty heavy user, lots of FF windows, DW, I'm running test websites on my XAMP stack, and by now, MS Word can't keep up with my typing!!!

I set php.ini to allow really long timeouts to compensate, but I still can't import a 6 MB sql file before it aborts.

WOULD LOVE HELP! AM thinking of (gasp) moving to Windows!

thanks

hayne
05-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Start by running "Activity Monitor" and finding out what is taking CPU, how much disk activity is happening, and especially how many page-outs you are getting (in the memory tab at the bottom)

trevor
05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
What computer do you have? G5 is a processor family that was used in Power Macs, iMacs, and XServes.

If you launch Activity Monitor, set the popup at the top to "All Processes", and click the %CPU column header once or twice to put the most active processes to the top of the list, what are the top five or so processes, not including Activity Monitor itself? And, on average, how much % of the CPU is each of those five processes taking? (It will bounce around, just give us an average.)

Are you using any system hacks? System hacks are programs that run all the time in the background and change the behavior of your computer operating system in some way.

What about InputManager "plugins" for Safari, iChat, Mail, or other Apple-bundled apps? What are they?

Trevor