PDA

View Full Version : Lost Exports in Freehand 10

swissbird
05-23-2009, 11:29 AM
A few days ago I suddenly lost all my capabilities to export my Freehand 10 drawings to PDFs, GIFs, TIFFs or anything else. The only thing I did was download the latest Adobe Reader (get any creepy vibes here?) from the free version 7. to free version 8.

I have to be able to export my files so that my drawings can be sent to clients for viewing/downloading. I was running OS 10.4.11, Freehand 10 on a G4PowerMac. After the sudden loss, I downloaded FH 10.0.1 and uninstalled Acrobat 8, thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't.

Then, I checked out FH 10 on my newer PowerMac Pro running OS 10.5.7 and Adobe Acrobat 8 PRO, thinking that SURELY it would work there. It didn't.

I formerly could simply "Export" any file to a whole list of options and never had a problem with any of them - gif, jpg, tiff, pdf, whatever! Now, files are:mad: greyed out (that is, you can't select a file to export)

Can anyone help?

benwiggy
05-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Are you saying that FH on 2 machines used to work perfectly, and now does not? And both have Acrobat (Reader or Pro) v8 on them? How long has the MacPro had Acrobat Pro on it? Perhaps the Adobe thing is incidental.

The latest version of Adobe Reader for OS 10.4.11 is v9.1, not 8, so not sure how you downloaded v8 from Adobe.

First of all, create a brand new user account, and see if the program works as expected. If it does, then you know that the problem lies inside your old user account, and no amount of reinstalling will help.

When you say "I downloaded 10.0.1", do you mean that you downloaded an update for your installation of FH?

swissbird
05-23-2009, 03:25 PM
ohmygosh, benwiggy! That was FAST! Yes, FH on 2 machines worked perfectly until the day last week when I downloaded that newer Acrobat. I don't think it was 9, but 8 (or whatever they thought would work on the older 10.4.11). The Acrobat on this later machine is 8Pro. I didn't understand which account to "create a brand new user" - Acrobat?

And yes, I downloaded the 10.0.1 update to my FH just yesterday.... several days after the breakdown.

The good news is that I found a way to make the drawing show up as PDF: First, in FH, PRINT to Acrobat8 (yes, that setting is in there!). Then go to Acrobat and select "Create PDF > "from file". That finally created a PDF. Another instance of FH going from one simple step in one program to 4 or 5 steps in TWO programs.

I haven't yet figured out how to save a drawing as a jpg or anything else. I guess you get to do those in Illustrator, and I don't think the older machine can do this. Even if there's something in the Print Window, I don't have Acrobat Pro on that machine. So I guess I have to buy PRO, or get a later machine and all that expensive software.

Thanks again for your speedy reply and maybe we can help someone else out there suddenly losing ability to Export in FH10.

JI